Eye Care Forum

dermoid cyst

i noticed last week a bump between the nose bridge and eye of my 2 year old took her to the eye doctor because she also has chalazion thought it was related but doctor said thinks it is dermoid cyst not related to chalazion it seems to be growing every day and getting redder please advise
Dear Ester,

Dermoid cysts may arise from tissues as the suture lines of bones that close.  The tissues form a cyst and may include cells consisting of hair follicles, sweat and/or oil glands.  The location is often in the upper outer and inner quadrants and are not usually painful.  The treatment is often complete surgical removal.  Sometimes, CT scanning is indicated to determine whether a bony abnormality is present.

Dr. Feldman

Sandy T. Feldman, M.D., M.S.
ClearView Eye and Laser Medical Center
San Diego, California

thanks for your answer. my doctor recommended ct is it safe for 2 year old. also if left alone will it go away with time
Find out how beta-blocker eye drops show promising results for acute migraine relief.
Eye whitening, iris color change, and eyeball "bling." Eye expert Dr. John Hagan warns of the dangers from these unnecessary surgeries.
Eye expert John Hagan, MD, FACS, FAAO discusses factors to consider and discuss with your eye care team before embarking on cataract surgery.
Is treating glaucoma with marijuana all hype, or can hemp actually help?
Protect against the leading cause of blindness in older adults
Got dry eyes? Eye drops aren't the only option! Ophthalmologist John C. Hagan III, MD explains other possible treatments.