double vision from Graves Disease?

I am an obese 53 yr female with HYPOthyroidism (on medication) and auto-immune disease.  My eyes have been progressively protruding for about 1 yr and have double vision for approx 6 mos. and getting worse.    My research suggests this is Graves Disease, however, that is typically HYPER & increases metodolism, which is definitely not me.  How can this be?  
If you are hypo-thyroid because you were once hyper thyroid and have had radioactive iodide treatment that would explain it. If you are only hypo-thyroid and never hyper thyroid then it is extremely important for you to see an Eye MD ophthalmologist physician for a work up that will likely include MRI of orbits.

Find one at www.aao.org.  Perhaps consider an oculoplastic surgeon. Take in old (3-5 years ago) full face photos to document how your eyes have changed.

JCH III MD

You are reading content posted in the Eye Care Community