Eye Care Forum

flashes after lasik

I am a 24 year old female that recently had wavefront lasik (about 3 months ago) and since then have suffered from floaters and peripheral flashes. I was very nearsighted ( about -9 both eyes) but my vision is about 20/20 now. The strange thing is I have the floaters in my right eye and the flashes in my left.....I have been to numerous eye doctors (2 retinal speciallists and an opthalmologist) and they all say my retinas look fine and to come back if any changes occur etc. For the most part they all say that this is not a result of the lasik but I am not convinced since it started less than a month after. I know I am at a higher risk than most for retinal tears and am concerned that I will not know if I were to experience one...Also I am wondering what exactly these flashes could be. I would describe them as an arc of light moving from the top to the bottom of the peripheral edge of my vision. Sometimes they happen a few times in a row and other times I only experience a few over the course of the day. They really freak me about and I am not sure what I can do at this point since the doctors I have seen have left me with no answers. Could this be a pressure phoshphene? Any feedback of of similar problems or ideas of what could be causing this would be much appreciated!!!
Dear Jenn717,

You do not mention how often these occur or for what duration? Are these flashes associated with headaches, an aura or other symptoms?  You also do not mention whether these occur with your eyes open or closed.  

Dr. Feldman

Sandy T. Feldman, M.D., M.S.
ClearView Eye and Laser Medical Center
San Diego, California

Flashes and Floaters CAN happen after lasik. Usually as a result of a PVD due to the pressure your eye is under as the flap is created. It is much more likely in high myopes. I have floaters post lasik just like you. Here is an article on it.

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/16044328?ordinalpos=3&itool=EntrezSystem2.PEntrez.Pubmed.Pubmed_ResultsPanel.Pubmed_DefaultReportPanel.Pubmed_RVDocSum

The flashes last for only a second so I don't believe they are associated with headaches (which I get almost every other day now). They occur anywher from 5 to 10 times a day, it varies. They also occur when my eyes are open or closed. They happen often when I go from a light to dark environment...for example when I come inside from being in the sunlight or when I turn off a light. Also after I have been staring at the computer screen for a while.
Find out how beta-blocker eye drops show promising results for acute migraine relief.
Eye whitening, iris color change, and eyeball "bling." Eye expert Dr. John Hagan warns of the dangers from these unnecessary surgeries.
Eye expert John Hagan, MD, FACS, FAAO discusses factors to consider and discuss with your eye care team before embarking on cataract surgery.
Is treating glaucoma with marijuana all hype, or can hemp actually help?
Protect against the leading cause of blindness in older adults
Got dry eyes? Eye drops aren't the only option! Ophthalmologist John C. Hagan III, MD explains other possible treatments.