floating black dots and spiders in eues

I have had floating black spiders with long legs in my eyes early today.  Now it is just black dots floating.  I have had extremely dry eyes for four months.  I've been using different over the counter eye lubricant drops, but nothing helps.  What should I do?
THis likely has nothing whatsoever with dry eyes.  These are most likely floaters in the vitreous and since they are new you should see an ophthalmologist for a complete dilated exam to look for things like a vitreous detachement or vitreous hemorrhage or retinal detachment.

MJK MD
i experienced the same.  you maybe lucky and not end up with an retinal detachment.  i had your symptoms due to vitreous hemorrrage (spiders and dots) then it led to retinal detachment approx 3 months later.  go see your eye doc to check you up and it will be most likely wait and see until you do or don;t end up with retinal detachment.  if you are very near0sgihted you have higher chnace of getting retinal detachment.  good luck.  
Dear Steph2020,

These are not related to the dryness and may represent a posterior vitreous detachment. I would advise seeking the care of an eyeMD to make sure that you do not have any retinal issues, such as tears, holes, or detachment.

Dr. Feldman

Sandy T. Feldman, M.D., M.S.
ClearView Eye and Laser Medical Center
San Diego, California

You are reading content posted in the Eye Care Forum

Find out how beta-blocker eye drops show promising results for acute migraine relief.
Eye whitening, iris color change, and eyeball "bling." Eye expert Dr. John Hagan warns of the dangers from these unnecessary surgeries.
Eye expert John Hagan, MD, FACS, FAAO discusses factors to consider and discuss with your eye care team before embarking on cataract surgery.
Is treating glaucoma with marijuana all hype, or can hemp actually help?
Protect against the leading cause of blindness in older adults
Got dry eyes? Eye drops aren't the only option! Ophthalmologist John C. Hagan III, MD explains other possible treatments.