Aa
A
A
A
Close
Eye Care Community
21.9k Members

higher order astigmatism or ???

The astigmatism in my left eye (surgery a year ago) is "regular" in that on a spoke pattern the sharp bars at the nearer focus are rotated 90 degrees from the sharp bars at the more distant focus.   Just like the drawings in the optics text books.

However, my right eye (cataract removed two weeks ago) it is a bit more complex.  The near focus at 1 meter is "simple": one set of sharp bars at 85 degrees (measured from 9:00 O'Clock clockwise).  The far focus at 3 meters (more or less) has the expected sharp bars at 175 degrees, but in addition, the bars at 85 degrees once again become sharp(er).  They are not quite as crisp as those at 175, but are much clearer than the bars in between, at say 130 degrees.  That is, at the far focus there are essentially 4 sharp (or sharpish) regions 90 degrees apart from each other.  If I watch the bars at 85 degrees while walking away from the pattern they fuzz out maximally at around 2 meters and then sharpen up again, meanwhile the bars at 175 degrees just go from fuzzy to sharp and stay that way.  Strange.  Also, a point at infinity, for instance a bright star at night looks like a sideways lower case gamma (or the Christian fish symbol, with the head pointing right, the vertical tail line missing, and of course none of the letters inside.)  

It seems like there is some other (slight) aberration in play in the right beyond the simple astigmatism of the left eye.

I don't expect the right eye to stay this way exactly, since the left eye changed a lot in the months after surgery.
If the left eye is any guide, the right won't start changing to its final shape until after the steroid eye drops are stopped.  Presurgery the right eye had 0.0 cylinder, hopefully it will eventually heal back to that.
1 Responses
711220 tn?1251894727
MEDICAL PROFESSIONAL
Too early in the post operative period.  Be patient and ask your doctor.

Dr. O.
Have an Answer?
Top General Health Answerers
177275 tn?1511758844
Kansas City, MO
Grand Prairie, TX
San Diego, CA
Learn About Top Answerers
Didn't find the answer you were looking for?
Ask a question
Popular Resources
In this unique and fascinating report from Missouri Medicine, world-renowned expert Dr. Raymond Moody examines what really happens when we almost die.
Think a loved one may be experiencing hearing loss? Here are five warning signs to watch for.
When it comes to your health, timing is everything
We’ve got a crash course on metabolism basics.
Learn what you can do to avoid ski injury and other common winter sports injury.
Here are the pros and cons of the top fad diets and weight loss plans of the year.