Eye Care Forum

interocular pressure

I have glaucoma and have had a trab., the fluid seems to be draining well but the pressure continues to be elevated.  I have had to restart drops to decrease the pressure.  My question is:  does Effexor XR cause there to be an increase in eye pressure?  I seem to recall having read that but cannot find any information at this time.  If it is not the medication causing an increase in pressure what could be the cause?  This is both eyes having had trabs and both with elevated pressure.
I don't relate it to the effexor unless you have narrow angles.  You could always try off of it for a while and have pressure re-measured.  Sometimes the trabeculectomies just scar over after a while. That is the normal healing phenomenon (the eye natually wants to heal the leak)  In fact one of the secrets of successful surgery is to keep the trab from healing too quickly and closing up.

MJK MD
Dear muggs165,

From my review of the internet nad literature, Effexor XR does not usually cause an increase in eye pressure.  I would recommend that you seek the care of a glaucoma specialist to assist in fully answering your questions as they pertain to their eyes.

Dr. Feldman

Sandy T. Feldman, M.D., M.S.
ClearView Eye and Laser Medical Center
San Diego, California

Find out how beta-blocker eye drops show promising results for acute migraine relief.
Eye whitening, iris color change, and eyeball "bling." Eye expert Dr. John Hagan warns of the dangers from these unnecessary surgeries.
Eye expert John Hagan, MD, FACS, FAAO discusses factors to consider and discuss with your eye care team before embarking on cataract surgery.
Is treating glaucoma with marijuana all hype, or can hemp actually help?
Protect against the leading cause of blindness in older adults
Got dry eyes? Eye drops aren't the only option! Ophthalmologist John C. Hagan III, MD explains other possible treatments.