Eye Care Community

itchy red swollen eyelids,,,not Blepharitis - please help me!!!!

here i go....so for the last 6 months i have had itchy eyelids...my eye doctor told me it was due to mild allergies and prescribed eye drops which didnt help in the least so i turned to over the counter allergy medicine which hasn't helped either (so i dont think it's allergies) and in the last 3 weeks not only are my eyelids itchy but when i wake up in the morning my upper eye lids are bright red and swelled up so bad that its embarassing!!!! i have switched makeup brands, stopped wearing makeup all together, changed pillowcases religiously, done the compresses, used mild baby shampoo on my eyes to clean them now, i take my vitamins, gone to the dermatologist who again prescribed more allergy medication (hasnt worked) went to an Ophthalmologist who said he didnt think it wasnt blepharitis but really wasnt sure what was going on so he prescribed me bousch & lombs neomycin and polymyxin b sulfates and dexamethasone ophthalmic ointment USP to apply to my eyelids which if anything in the last 4 days of using it has actually caused the swelled upper part of my eyelids to burn...typically the swelling goes down thru the day but by the time night hits theyre back to being all swelled up again...im 25 and done as much research as i can...this is literally killing me...(and i hate not wearing makeup!!!) please oh please if you have any ideas of what i may be doing wrong or what i can do to help my poor eyes let me know!!! anything will help at this point!
thanks
~~k~~
Might consider stopping the neomycin as 10% of people taking it develop allergies to it.

Might consider just using the dexamathason for a 7-10 days.

I'm assuming you do not wear contacts. If you do the contacts are the cause 99% of the time.

There are many things that you could be allergic to that could cause this including cosmetics, hair coloring, nail polish, food allergies, perfumes, etc.

If you get no relief consider seeing a cornea/external disease ophthalmologist. You can use the Find An Eye MD feature at www.aao.org to find one near you. Let us know if you determine a cause.

JCH III MD
I have the same problem as this red swollen itchy eyelids.  Don't have allergies like this.  I do wear contacts--why would they cause this?  I haven't been wearing the contacts for days now....
Because when a person wears contact lens and has problems with redness, irriation, watering, sensitivity to light, foreign body sensation, discharge 90% plus its the contacts that is causing the problem.

JCH III MD
i wish i had an answer to my original question on this page...who knows what was wrong with my poor eyes....so after seeing the eye doc. i got that weird prescription filled and never used it...i kept washing my eyelids with the baby soap morning and night, changed my pillowcases ALL THE TIME and changed my contact cleanser to the clear care solution (the kind that bubbles up) ----since then my red swollen eyes have gone back to normal (thank goodness!!!) but now i have fine lines alllllll around my eyes where they had swelled so bad in the weeks before...it's better than what i originally had but my eyelids (and under my eyes) have aged 10 years in the last 2 months from this...anybody know a good wrinkle cream?! ha....so i never found out what was wrong...possibly an allergy to something..!? good luck.....
____________________
My 5 yr old son wakes with red swollen eyes some mornings.  The swelling subsides during the day, but turn into dry flaky red and itchy eyelids.  Some days it is so bad that he can't open his eyes -on these days he ends up with what looks like bruising, or black eyes as the swelling subsides.  The rash responds well to protopic, but I have no idea what he might be reacting to in the first place -I've tried eliminating milk, then eggs, wheat, nuts...  No marked difference with any of these eliminations.  Any suggestions?