Eye Care Community

laser eye surgery / color deficiency

Dear Sir,

my optometrist considers me to be an excellent candidate for refractive surgery (28 years of age, -4.5 and stable for 15 months, by far sufficient corneal thickness and perfect overall health) but pointed that my pupils are h-u-g-e.
Apparently, “traditional” laser eye surgery patients with large pupils often times suffer from reduced night vision due to extensive glare. Which one of the current laser eye procedures, namely Lasik, PRK, Lasek and Custom Lasik do you think is most beneficial to address my large pupil size?
Your comments would be greatly appreciated.

Now, I have yet another question 
I have a mild red-green color deficiency which is hereditary in nature.  
After starring at the Ishihara plates for 15-30 seconds on average, I can decipher roughly 60-70% of them. Variation in the distance of the plates from my eyes (2 ft seems best-fit) and slightly tilting the plates sideways gives me a much better shot when taking the Ishihara test.
Now, clearly there is no cure for hereditary color blindness - BUT at the same time I haven’t given up hope that laser eye surgery may indirectly alleviate my deficiency. For example, would laser surgery potentially alter the cornea to such an extend that more light will be spread onto the retina at angels previously not achieved?
Again, your comments and suggestions are greatly appreciated.

Thanks a million!
I think the surgeon is more important than the procedure. Good results can be obtained from a variety of refractive procedures. Most good refractive Eye MD surgeons (not optrometrists which are not MDs, not physicians, not full service eye care providers) can do several different types of procedures. My advise would be to see the one or two best refractive surgeons in your area.

Also do your own research. There is (unfortunately) a think called "co-management" in which the Eye MD splits some of the cost of the refractive surgery fee with an optometrist. Often this is not disclosed by either the optom or the eye MD to the patient.

That's why you are often better to find the best though of Eye MDs. Also if you do see an optom ask if he/she "co-manages" that means they have a financial gain by sending our so certain cataract and refrative surgeons.

JCH III MD