A
A
A
Close
Eye Care Community
21.9k Members

laser eye surgery / color deficiency

Dear Sir,

my optometrist considers me to be an excellent candidate for refractive surgery (28 years of age, -4.5 and stable for 15 months, by far sufficient corneal thickness and perfect overall health) but pointed that my pupils are h-u-g-e.
Apparently, “traditional” laser eye surgery patients with large pupils often times suffer from reduced night vision due to extensive glare. Which one of the current laser eye procedures, namely Lasik, PRK, Lasek and Custom Lasik do you think is most beneficial to address my large pupil size?
Your comments would be greatly appreciated.

Now, I have yet another question 
I have a mild red-green color deficiency which is hereditary in nature.  
After starring at the Ishihara plates for 15-30 seconds on average, I can decipher roughly 60-70% of them. Variation in the distance of the plates from my eyes (2 ft seems best-fit) and slightly tilting the plates sideways gives me a much better shot when taking the Ishihara test.
Now, clearly there is no cure for hereditary color blindness - BUT at the same time I haven’t given up hope that laser eye surgery may indirectly alleviate my deficiency. For example, would laser surgery potentially alter the cornea to such an extend that more light will be spread onto the retina at angels previously not achieved?
Again, your comments and suggestions are greatly appreciated.

Thanks a million!
1 Responses
233488 tn?1310696703
MEDICAL PROFESSIONAL
I think the surgeon is more important than the procedure. Good results can be obtained from a variety of refractive procedures. Most good refractive Eye MD surgeons (not optrometrists which are not MDs, not physicians, not full service eye care providers) can do several different types of procedures. My advise would be to see the one or two best refractive surgeons in your area.

Also do your own research. There is (unfortunately) a think called "co-management" in which the Eye MD splits some of the cost of the refractive surgery fee with an optometrist. Often this is not disclosed by either the optom or the eye MD to the patient.

That's why you are often better to find the best though of Eye MDs. Also if you do see an optom ask if he/she "co-manages" that means they have a financial gain by sending our so certain cataract and refrative surgeons.

JCH III MD
Have an Answer?
Top General Health Answerers
177275 tn?1511758844
Kansas City, MO
Grand Prairie, TX
San Diego, CA
Learn About Top Answerers
Didn't find the answer you were looking for?
Ask a question
Popular Resources
In this unique and fascinating report from Missouri Medicine, world-renowned expert Dr. Raymond Moody examines what really happens when we almost die.
Think a loved one may be experiencing hearing loss? Here are five warning signs to watch for.
When it comes to your health, timing is everything
We’ve got a crash course on metabolism basics.
Learn what you can do to avoid ski injury and other common winter sports injury.
Here are the pros and cons of the top fad diets and weight loss plans of the year.