Eye Care Community

light sensations (flashes) still 1,5 year after scleral buckle surgery

I had scleral buckle done 1,5 years ago and I still,to this day, see flashes just as often as before surgery. But to be precise the ''flashes" are not like a lightning..  the sensation resembles  "fire balls"moving up or down in the area that the detachment occured.A doctor examining the retina multiple times since the surgery said that all is fine. But the flashes are just the same.I see them frequently at night when I change position or stand up.Also when I move my head for example when washing my face. I think I can spot the lights 30 to 50 times a day.

Is it normal?Or does it mean that something bad is happening?I has been a long time since the surgery and the flashes are not becoming smaller or less frequent.
Given what you were told its not likely the retina will redetach. Scars undergo what is called "maturation"  (maturing)  as that happens traction on the retina and the direction of the traction can change. Thus while most people experience less flashes over time some can experience more without the retina re-detaching. This is especially true if the person is anxious and keys in on the flashes over-riding what is called "neuro-adaptation" which generally "tunes out" flashes from the eye.

No one can tell you if the flashes will stop. I have had two patients that had flashes for 3-5 years one following a tennis ball injury and the other a retina tear treated with laser.

That is all I can tell you.

JCH MD
It is not "normal" but it does sometimes occur after RD surgery or injury. If you will use the search feature you will see other postings on these eye forums with the same complaint and problem.

There is no good treatment for this.  There is no way to tell if this will eventually stop

JCH MD

I too have flashes after surgery.  One year ago, I had two retinal tears in the periphery of my right eye and was treated with cryopexy, gas bubble, and susequent laser retinopexy.  I see two light images, one is a golden glow at the 6:00 position, and the other is a bright spiral at the 4:00 position.  The spiral occurs many times a day and is certainly more noticeable in the dark.  All of my docs (cataract surgeon and 2 retina specialists) agree that the surgery was a success and the images are the result of scarring.  Although it was certainly frightening at first, I am accustomed to it now.  Best wishes.
I'm 4 months past scleral buckle surgery for a detachment.  I still have a shimmering area in the center of my vision sometimes, usually when waking.  It's much better than it was but the improvement seems to have stopped.  I also get flashes when my eye is dry.  The doc says that my retina is still flat and attached, so I'm guessing these are things I'll live with.
=
thank you all very much  for replies.

After thorough analysis I can even see that the flashes sometimes occur in the area larger  than before:( In the same part of my eye but a  wider area.
What can  it  mean other than a detachment?
=
Traction from residual vitreous, maybe.  The important part (at least from your doctor's perspective) is that your retina is still attached.  I was concerned when I still had flashes post-surgery so I asked my doctor about it.  You should, too.
=
can you tell me what exactly  a traction is? I am not a  native English speaker and I suppose it is also a medical term only understood by professionals.
look up the translation of the English world "traction" in your native language. Its not a medical term. It means

trac·tion /ˈtrakSH(ə)n/   noun

1. the action of drawing or pulling a thing over a surface, especially a road or track.  "a primitive vehicle used in animal traction"

•motive power provided for movement, especially on a railroad.
"the changeover to diesel and electric traction"

2.  the grip of a tire on a road or a wheel on a rail.
"his car hit a patch of ice and lost traction"

synonyms: grip, purchase, friction, adhesion
"new tires with improved traction"

IN THE CONTEXT OF YOUR QUESTION:  the vitreous in the back of the eye can pull on the retina and cause flashes,  floaters, retinal holes, tears or detachment.  Ongoing traction between scarred retina and normal retina can cause continued flashes of light
Thank you doctor. So it seems the floating lights I have mean there is a traction ongoing? But what does it mean I should do? Is it very dangerous ? What are the measures I should take?
The floating lights occur in the area wider than before surgery.