Eye Care Community

orbital decompression

hi, im 30 yrs old male from the philippines. This year in april 1 week before i went for vacation in the philippines , one day i woke up in the morning i saw my left eye different from my right eye like it's not even. When i was in the philippines i went to the first doctor and he said its a "viral infection" and he just gave me drops. I didn't see any changes and then i decided to go to another doctor to get a second opinion and he said he's gonna do a test and see  what causes of my eye to bulged.  But the T3 T4 was negative so as the other results it's means i don't have thyroid desease and the CT scan result says 'pseudo tumor' a swelling going on behind my left eye and it's causes my eye to push forward. And he gave me 'prednisone costicosteroids' to control the inflammation and it lasted 3 weeks but then again i didn't see any changes. After a month i went back to canada where i work and see a specialist an opthalmologist and he said he will do a surgery to my left eye called 'orbital decompression' my concern was is it the right thing to go for a surgery but they didn't know the cause of it?
I would get a second opinion from another oculoplastic surgeon. use the search feature and archives and read about orbital pseudotumor. Also read about orbital decompression which is a very major operation with a long recovery period. The standard treatment of OP is steroid use and not jump into orbital decompression surgery. You might also read the section on OP on webMD.

JCH MD
How long is the recovery after the surgery?  I was going back to work for atleast a month after my surgery. Is one month enough for my recovery? I quit taking the steroids because it has a side effect on my body that is why my doctor decided to do it in surgery.
Varies tremendously as you will see from reading the posts. Steroids are sometimes injected into the orbit to avoid systemic side effects.
JCH MD