Eye Care Forum

stye?

I went to bed last night with a bit of "discomfort" in my right eye, but nothing too alarming.  I shrugged it off and went to bed.  When I woke up this morning, it still hurt, so I went to the mirror and discovered a rather severely swollen upper right eyelid.  I panicked, put a warm compress on it, laid back down for a bit, and when I got back up and continued to keep the compress on it for a bit longer, the swelling went down SOME (but not completely).

Anyway, I went to the Urgent Care center, and a doctor looked at it and claimed it was just "allergic conjunctivitis" and prescribed me some eyedrops that "lessen/alleviate eye itching".  I didn't even HAVE eye itching....ugh.

Anyway, I was off work today anyway, so I kept putting a warm compress on it here and there, and that keeps the swelling under SOME control, but when I took a nap and woke back up, the eyelid was just as swollen as it was when I got up initially this morning, so obviously sleeping makes it more swollen/worse in general.

There is no visible/distinct LUMP that I can see, but I'm starting to wonder if I have a stye UNDER my eye...on my inner eyelid.  When I blink, it hurts/is uncomfortable, and although the entiere eyelid appears swollen, it is MORE swollen (significantly) in the upper right corner, and that is also where it hurts the most "to the touch".  Again, I don't FEEL an obvious lump there, but when I rub my index finger over that part of my eyelid, it HURTS and when I rub my index on another part of my eyelid like toward my nose (the inside half), it does not hurt to the touch.

what could this be and how do I get rid of it?  I look stupid and have to teach middle school kids! Ahhh.
Dear whitesa6,

I would recommend that you seek the care of an eyeMD to determine whether you have a hordeolum [stye] or other infection of the eyelids.

Dr. Feldman

Sandy T. Feldman, M.D., M.S.
ClearView Eye and Laser Medical Center
San Diego, California
Find out how beta-blocker eye drops show promising results for acute migraine relief.
Eye whitening, iris color change, and eyeball "bling." Eye expert Dr. John Hagan warns of the dangers from these unnecessary surgeries.
Eye expert John Hagan, MD, FACS, FAAO discusses factors to consider and discuss with your eye care team before embarking on cataract surgery.
Is treating glaucoma with marijuana all hype, or can hemp actually help?
Protect against the leading cause of blindness in older adults
Got dry eyes? Eye drops aren't the only option! Ophthalmologist John C. Hagan III, MD explains other possible treatments.