Eye Care Community

swollen upper eyelid

I went to bed last night with a bit of "discomfort" in my right eye, but nothing too alarming.  I shrugged it off and went to bed.  When I woke up this morning, it still hurt, so I went to the mirror and discovered a rather severely swollen upper right eyelid.  I panicked, put a warm compress on it, laid back down for a bit, and when I got back up and continued to keep the compress on it for a bit longer, the swelling went down SOME (but not completely).

Anyway, I went to the Urgent Care center, and a doctor looked at it and claimed it was just "allergic conjunctivitis" and prescribed me some eyedrops that "lessen/alleviate eye itching".  I didn't even HAVE eye itching....ugh.

Anyway, I was off work today anyway, so I kept putting a warm compress on it here and there, and that keeps the swelling under SOME control, but when I took a nap and woke back up, the eyelid was just as swollen as it was when I got up initially this morning, so obviously sleeping makes it more swollen/worse in general.

There is no visible/distinct LUMP that I can see, but I'm starting to wonder if I have a stye UNDER my eye...on my inner eyelid.  When I blink, it hurts/is uncomfortable, and although the entiere eyelid appears swollen, it is MORE swollen (significantly) in the upper right corner, and that is also where it hurts the most "to the touch".  Again, I don't FEEL an obvious lump there, but when I rub my index finger over that part of my eyelid, it HURTS and when I rub my index on another part of my eyelid like toward my nose (the inside half), it does not hurt to the touch.

what could this be and how do I get rid of it?  I look stupid and have to teach middle school kids! Ahhh.
There are many causes of your problem.  You need to see an EyeMD for the diagnosis.

Dr. O.