A
A
A
Close
Eye Care Community
21.9k Members

swollen upper eyelid

Hello,

I went to bed last night with a bit of "discomfort" in my right eye, but nothing too alarming.  I shrugged it off and went to bed.  When I woke up this morning, it still hurt, so I went to the mirror and discovered a rather severely swollen upper right eyelid.  I panicked, put a warm compress on it, laid back down for a bit, and when I got back up and continued to keep the compress on it for a bit longer, the swelling went down SOME (but not completely).

Anyway, I went to the Urgent Care center, and a doctor looked at it and claimed it was just "allergic conjunctivitis" and prescribed me some eyedrops that "lessen/alleviate eye itching".  I didn't even HAVE eye itching....ugh.

Anyway, I was off work today anyway, so I kept putting a warm compress on it here and there, and that keeps the swelling under SOME control, but when I took a nap and woke back up, the eyelid was just as swollen as it was when I got up initially this morning, so obviously sleeping makes it more swollen/worse in general.

There is no visible/distinct LUMP that I can see, but I'm starting to wonder if I have a stye UNDER my eye...on my inner eyelid.  When I blink, it hurts/is uncomfortable, and although the entiere eyelid appears swollen, it is MORE swollen (significantly) in the upper right corner, and that is also where it hurts the most "to the touch".  Again, I don't FEEL an obvious lump there, but when I rub my index finger over that part of my eyelid, it HURTS and when I rub my index on another part of my eyelid like toward my nose (the inside half), it does not hurt to the touch.

what could this be and how do I get rid of it?  I look stupid and have to teach middle school kids! Ahhh.
1 Responses
711220 tn?1251894727
MEDICAL PROFESSIONAL
There are many causes of your problem.  You need to see an EyeMD for the diagnosis.

Dr. O.
Have an Answer?
Top General Health Answerers
177275 tn?1511758844
Kansas City, MO
Grand Prairie, TX
San Diego, CA
Learn About Top Answerers
Didn't find the answer you were looking for?
Ask a question
Popular Resources
In this unique and fascinating report from Missouri Medicine, world-renowned expert Dr. Raymond Moody examines what really happens when we almost die.
Think a loved one may be experiencing hearing loss? Here are five warning signs to watch for.
When it comes to your health, timing is everything
We’ve got a crash course on metabolism basics.
Learn what you can do to avoid ski injury and other common winter sports injury.
Here are the pros and cons of the top fad diets and weight loss plans of the year.