to wearers of Acuvue Oasys contacts

Acuvue Oasys contacts cause blepharitis and corneal ulcers in some wearers. Most people don't realize it is this particular brand of lenses causing the problem. Discard the lenses and see your doctor. (It doesn't matter if they are a brand new pair. It is the material that they are made of that causes the body to react to them.)
Sort by: Helpful Oldest Newest
Automobiles cause death and disability in some people but we don't stop using them nor would it be proper to take them off the market. There is no indication that Acuvue Oasys causes more ulcers than any other brand and the posting above should not have been posted.

JCH MD
Helpful - 0
I did develop a corneal ulcer wearing acuvue oaysis, but.. I found out that it is very important to not over wear them and I also switched to a hydrogen peroxide based cleaning system by sauflon. This has taken care of the problem and I still wear them comfortably. In fact if it wasn't for these lenses I would probably need to have cataract surgery sooner in my other eye, because I would have no other options.
Helpful - 0
Are you aware of any studies that single out the Acuvue Oasys as the cause of corneal ulcers?  Perhaps it's just a coincidence, but I started to develop corneal problems with this contact, too, so I switched to the 1-Day Acuvue Moist.  My optometrist thought that my problems with the Oasys might have occurred because the base curve of this contact was not quite right for my eye.
Helpful - 0
I've been wearing Oasys for a year or two (basically since they came out) and I've had zero problems.  They're very comfortable.  Actually, the only problem I've had is that when I first take them out of the box and if I rinse them with a particular brand of lens solution (Aquify) and put them in my eyes, it burns like hell.  So now I either pre-soak with them Aquify overnight before I put them in the first time, or I rinse them with a different solution the first time I wear them.  After first wear, Aquify + Oasys is no problem.
Helpful - 0
I am a long time soft-contact lens wearer (15 years). I have been wearing Acuvue Oasys for 6 months. 3 months ago I started a new package of Oasys contacts, and immediately had discomfort and redness. I went to the doctor one week later, and i had developed a corneal ulcer. He asked me if i had had discomfort before, and I had in the last 6 months noticed that my eyes hurt after taking the contacts out.
I cleared up the ulcer, tried the Oasys again. I immediately got red eyes.
I then develped a Keratosis. (this may have been from a UV light I was exposed to one day before this acute irritation began). My new opthamlogist decided to try the Oasys that comes in a different size in case they weren't fitting me correctly. I tried those, and 3 days later i could not wear the contacts due to redness, discomfort and pain. 2 days of not wearing contacts at all, and I still have burning, painful eyes.

I think that there is something in the contacts that i am allergic to or cannot tolerate - perhaps the silicon. not sure. The odd thing is that I have only been having this major irritation since the new package I opened in April '09.
Helpful - 0
I've been a contact wearer for years -- and I recenly swtiched to Oasys -- and have been plagued with eye problems ever since. I've had ulcer after ulcer and had to go on antibiotics from the opthamologist. It MUST be the lenses -- because never had problems before and wore lenses much more often. Now I only wear them once in a while because I'm so scared.
Helpful - 0
type Acuvue oasys problems into google.. you will find straight from the doc website. scroll down and find the people's comments about severe injury to their eyes. Maybe some people can wear these with no problems, but for others it is serious problems. The eye doctor isn't going to say to you to get the lenses but maybe you will have severe corneal problems. It is most likely a senofilicon allergy. The MD's comment above was uncalled for and pointless.
Helpful - 0
acuvue oasys is a popular contact lens. I worn this for years. really like it.
Helpful - 0
Absolutely acuvue oasys cause redness, irritation, and even ulcers when I wore them more than two days. My eyes were shot after one with blurred vision and even double vision in one eye after two days. Tried them numerous times over a two month period with disastrous results. Switched to pro clear something with no silicone and feel like a new person and can read the paper again. Isnt silicone a known irritant?
Helpful - 0
After having problems recently today I have found some forums and I am furious. It is time to take this to the next level. I am a LONG LONG term (20 years ) extended wear / sleep in contact lens wearer, and I NEVER had problems before my doctor ( FOR SOME DAMNED REASON ) suggested I try these oasys brand, AND NOW I AM HAVING THE EXACT SAME PROBLEMS OTHERS HAVE BEEN REPORTING; gooping eyes, irratation, seled eye in the morning etc etc.... I told my Doctor about thiese isuues, but he insisted I stay with them. WHAT IS GOING ON HERE? Why are eye doctors nationwide pushing these types when the old types worked fine. It is a fact that the old type 2 lenses would last a long time without problems ( maybe too long in J&J's opinion). Is J&J is pushing these because they will wear out quicker casuing us to buy more?? IF THIS IS THE CASE, AND THEY ARE PUSHING OUR DOCTORS TO PUSH THESE ON US AND CAUSING OUR PROBLEMS, THEN IT IS TIME TO SUE. I just found the message boards regarding these problems, and I am stunned at the number of people ( now going back 3 years ) who have MY EXACT issues. I have not had any ulcers or infections, but I have had the gooping up, and eyes sealed shut in the morning, and I fear it may lead to worse things. TIME TO ORGANISE, AND GET TO THE BOTTOM OF THIS. Does any one have any idea on a good way to do that? I am switching back to type 2 lenses, and that is final.
Helpful - 0
I am having problems with my Oasys contacts too! I am a physician and I never understood why the optometris pushes these. Even more unsettling, when you use a major internet seller, the whole package is from China with chinese language all over the box. I really never had problems until I started these, I think I will go back to my old types as well! Glad to see I'm not the only person who has headaches shortly after placing a new pair in my eyes.
Helpful - 0
I think you really should address these complaints. It is not my impression that the people who post here are loonies.
Helpful - 0
I am also a wearer of contacts for @25 years. This brand is the first to ever give me problems...blurred vision, redness, swollen eyes, dryness, and sometimes pain when I remove the lenses. I had a clean vision check-up right before starting to wear these a few months ago. I wore Acuvue 2 for years without problem, but was advised by the Doctor to switch to Oasys because A2 has been discontinued...what a  mistake. I finally remembered to google this tonight and am grateful to learn that it's not just my middle-age eyes.
Thanks,
Lisa
Helpful - 0
When I started Acuvue Oasys some three years ago, they were fine for a month. Then I suddenly developed a reaction so severe that I couldn't even hold my eyes open. I'd worn contacts for 16 years with no trouble, so I thought I must have rubbed gasoline or dust into my eyes by accident. Turns out the lenses were reacting with Alcon's Opti-Free Express solution. I can use the Acuvue Oasys with Aquify, but no Alcon products. I'm sure others can combine those products without any problems, but after Oasys gave me an allergy I never had before (and now reading these other comments), I'm going to swich as soon as I can.
Helpful - 0
I have been a contact lens wearer for 10 years. I switched from
FreshLook to Acuvue Oasys lenses (per my dr's request) in January 2007.
I never had a problem until recently. In April 2010 I ordered a year's
worth of supply as I usually do. These were the Acuvue Oasys with Hydraclear. About a week into wearing the new
lenses I noticed that my eyes were bloodshot. I thought maybe it was
just the specific lens I had on so I opened a new pair and wore them the next
day. Same thing. I started wearing glasses but still noticed that my
eyes were bloodshot. About 2 weeks later my lower lid of the left eye
swelled. I went to the ophthalmologist in June and he said my eyes were
just red and I could continue to wear my contacts. So I did. But
everytime the same thing, a red ring around the iris and bloodshot
eyes. I went back to the doctor in July after I noticed blurry vision
in my left eye (I had glasses on). The doctor said I had a corneal
abrasion. He gave me antibiotics and the redness went away, but the
blurry vision remained. He told me to use lubricating eyedrops 1-2hours
a day, which I have been doing. I havent put the lens back in since
July but my vision is still blurry (it has improved with the drops but
it's not 100%). I didnt think it was because of the Acuvue Oasys. I
mean I've worn the brands for 3 years. But after reading these comments
I'm starting to reconsider. Also in April when I got the new package of Acuvue Oasys, I was using Alcon Opti-Free solution. I thought maybe it was the solution (I usually use Aquify but I was in a hurry when I was at the pharmacy so I picked up Alcon). I don't think it was the solution because I switched to Renu and found the same problems. I think it is the Oasys. I looked on my box and noticed they were made in Ireland. Supposedly Ireland has a different sizing chart, so a BC of 8.4 will probably be different. This may have some impact or none at all. It may just be an allergy to the senifolon that's in the lens.

Helpful - 0
My daughter uses Avucue contact lenses since several years and until recently without problems. 2 months ago she bought Avucue lenses in Thailand, complained about pain within 3-7 days and changed the lenses frequently until we got into a quarrel about her using too many lenses. I had read that J&J had recalled this brand of contact lenses from Japan and other Asian countries, so I contacted J&J in USA (no answer since 2 weeks), and here in Bangkok. On J&J's request her eyes were checked by an eye doc who confirmed that nothing wrong with her eyes. J&J offered replacement which we did not receive because the shop to where they sent us her size was out of stock. Moreover, J&J told me that a) we are the first one to complain and b) there was no recall in Thailand even though the lenses originate from the same manufacturing plant in Ireland. In the meantime the case is closed for J&J, we should show them the lenses which caused pain, well of course we had thrown it away. Can anybody tell me what to do with such an unresponsive company??
Helpful - 0
Hi all contacts wearers...really amazed to see the feedbacks on Acuvue Oasys.BTW, any body tried the Air Optix Aqua or AO Night & Day brand from Ciba Vision for extended wearing purpose?can you  pl give your feedbacks.Thank you.
Helpful - 0
I have been to three different eye doctors in my 16 year old life time and they have all been insitsting that I persist in these Oasys lenses. These lenses are absolutely HORRIBLE! They make my eyes feel cold and swollen after two hours of use. My eyes gets itchy and irritated not even an hour after I put them in. The glare reflecting off of car headlights when I'm driving has almost caused me an accident. I have tried two different sizes of this product and I noticed no change. I do not understand why my doctors prefer this product over everything; all I know is I am switching back to my old Acuvue as soon as possible.
Helpful - 0
I'm floored - I wish I had done my research before converting my 10 years of issue free Acuvue 2 to Oasys.  I have a quarter moon sized slit around my retina after two days of shooting pains and streaming tears.  I thought I had an eye allergy but opthamologist confirmed the 'known' issue between Oasys and Opti-free and now I'm stuck with wearing glasses until all this white debris from my eyes clear enough to be able to wear contacts again.  Will probably dump both Oasys and the solution.
Helpful - 0
i feel is should also post my experiences about Acuvue oasys lenses as since i was convinced by my optician to change to these new spangly dangly lenses (read: more expensive) from Acuvue advance   i've had nothing but trouble - conjunctivitis twice and, the most serious, a corneal ulcer in my right eye. This ulcer is still ongoing and i'm having to go back to the hospital daily at the moment.
My left eye also has some scarring, which seems to have been caused by the several occasions that these lenses have stuck fast to my eye ball and i have literally had to scrape them off with force. Of course, the opticians are insistant that it isn't the lens (despite the fact that i've worn contacts for 14 years without any problems, until the change to these lenses.
The previous generation were fine for me (Acuvue Advance) so, if i can ever recover the sight in my right eye back to normal again (yes, its that serious), i might go back to those... Or i might just tell Johnson and Johnson where to stick their lenses as there is blatantly a problem with these lenses that can affect a large minority of people.
Helpful - 0
That is the wrong analogy. If you're going to use cars, it would go like this: for decades you've been driving cars without any issues. Then your dealer puts you in a car where the windshield turns red and cloudy without warning, and sticks to your face. And by the way, charges you more for it. I find it extremely irresponsible of the dealers (eye docs) to enforce Oasys on patients (who are already forced to come in for an eye exam each year even if their current prescription is just fine) without at least giving a heads up!
Helpful - 0
Second time for me trying these.  I usually wear acuvue 2 no problems but eyes were getting dry.  The first time I tried oasys I put them in the second day and eyes were itchy, bloodshot and very sore with light sensitivity.  My eye doctor also had complaints from other people too but not all.  He contacted the manufacturer and they thought the problem was I was using replenish solution and it was interacting with them.  This time he had me use pure moist solution.  He said that took care of the problem for most of the other people.  Today is day 2 of putting them in and my eyes got sore and bloodshot and hurt.  Seems that was not the problem for me.  Going back to acuvue 2.  I suspect allergy as some people are fine with these but others have problems right away.
Helpful - 0
I am having the same issue with these contacts, redness and sore spots on edge of cornea. I think part of the issue is that they fold over and get deformed in the packagimg. Then when they dont sit on your eye properly then ulcers form.
Helpful - 0
I wish I would have read these comments before I got talked into trying the Oasys. I have been an Acuvue2 wearing for over 6 years never a problem. In fact, I have been a contract lenses wearer for over 25 years and in all that time never a problem, condition, ulcer, or any type of infection. Recently, I it was suggested that I try the Oasys because they were supposed to be healthier for my eye. I gave them a try and from the first time I put them in my eye, I knew something was wrong. I immediately had a very bad burning sensation in my eyes followed by redness and itching. Day two now I have a pain in my left eye and a red spot by the corner of my eye. I immediately took the contacts out today and put my Acuvue2 back in. My left eye is still a bit sore and red, but I dont have a sensation of sand in my eye like I did with the Oasys. I, like you, cannot even understand at all why everyone is pushing these terrible contacts. I will never change again from what works for me with the Acuvue 2. I hope they dont stop making them, they are by far the most comfortable lense I have ever worn. And I wish that these eye docs would listen more to their patients and stop trying to fit everyone in the same type of contact. If you have good luck with the ones you are currently using stay with them, don't ever switch to the Oasys no matter how much pressure you get from eye places. Remember, they are not the ones who have to wear them or deal with the sometimes severe consequences.
Helpful - 0
2

You are reading content posted in the Eye Care Community