Eye Care Community

unequal size of the eye openings

I am a mother of one. My daughter is already 1 year old.During her first four months,her eyes are still in normal size. Meaning the size of the eyes are totally the same. But as she aged 4 month-old, she kept on scratching her eyes as if they are really itching. The result, my baby's eyes are unequal in size. the left eye is larger than the right eye. The smaller eye is the normal size. At the beginning, the size of the larger eye would return to its original size. But now, 3 weeks passed but the original size didn't return anymore. will it return to its original size? What's the problem of the eyes of my baby? Please help me.............Please
This could be a serious problem: either one eye looks smaller than the other because the lid is drooping. That is called ptosis and needs and evaluation by an ophthalmologist Eye MD  Or the eye could actually be enlarging due to a condition like congential glaucoma or the eye could be pushed forward by something behind it.

It is extremely important for you to take the child to an ophthalmologist Eye MD.  If you have a pediatrician ask for an emergency exam this coming week. Do not see an optometrist non MD as this is way above their skill level.

Please take action immediately.

JCH MD
Dear  Doctor,
      I haven't still consulted an ophthalmologist for there are times that the eye would return to their original size. The larger eye is very much obvious especially after she wakes up. If I'm going to consult a doctor, would it be an assurance that the size of the eye will return to its original size?

There is no way what the doctor will tell you; I can't tell you any more. Waiting is NOT a good idea. Take action.

JCH MD
Hi Doctor ,

My new born daughter eye ball has been different sizes.

Doctor said Left eye is small compare to right eye.

Please help any remedy on this
Your child should be seen by a pediatric ophthalmologist as soon as possible as this could be a sign of a serious congenital eye problem.

JCH MD