This expert forum is not accepting new questions. Please post your question in one of our medical support communities.
Avatar universal

Can I start symptoms the day after the encounter?

I am a 21 years old male and on May 5th, 2003 I had a sexual encounter with an unknown man and the encounter consisted on him giving me oral sex for like a minute. That same da I was very drunk and the day after I woke up with nausea and diarrhea, but as a coincidence that same day my mom and my girlfriend has the same diarrhea. After that I started to feel very worried about the HIV and I started to make research through internet and as soon as i knew the symptoms of ARS I started to become very worried. Today one week and two days after, i've only had diarrhea (my mother and my girlfriend too), headaches (it was a sort of neck and head pain, tension), and one swollen gland on the right side of my neck. I feel very stressed and my body hurts. I would like to know if this can mean that i am experiencing ARS symptoms or if I've had acquired HIV. I am a very nervous person and whenever I think of something bad i start feeling symptoms. Could these symptoms be associated to stress and tension of thinking about that? I would really appreciate you response.

Discussion is closed
1 Answers
Page 1 of 1
233190 tn?1278553401
Hello - thanks for asking your question.

Without seeing and examining you I cannot say what you have.  

By ARS - I assume you are referring to SARS - severe acute respiratory syndrome.  Typically symptoms involve fevers associated with a dry cough and shortness of breath.  It can also be accompanied by malaise, headache, and myalgias (muscle aches).  There is an increased risk when in contact with those travelling from SARS-infected areas such as China or Taiwan.

The other consideration you mentioned is acute HIV.  The most common findings are fever, enlarged lymph nodes, sore throat, oral lesions, myalgia/arthralgia (muscle/joint pain), diarrhea, headache, nausea/vomiting, and weight loss.  Because of the high-risk behavior, I would see a physician and get tested for this.  There is evidence of HIV being transmitted via oral sex.  

Of course, it could be something less serious such as a viral syndrome which would resolve on its own.  However, I would see a physician to make sure it isn't anything more serious.  

Followup with your personal physician is essential.

This answer is not intended as and does not substitute for medical advice - the information presented is for patient education only. Please see your personal physician for further evaluation of your individual case.

Kevin, M.D.
Discussion is closed
Looking for a Doctor?
Shop for health care like an expert. Find the best doctors based on reviews from patients like you.