Family Health Forum

EBV

I have been very stressed (most I have ever been) for about 4-5 months. Ever since I got a jock itch rash I was a nervous wreck. (Hypo) Anyway, since then I have been very stressed always looking & finding for new symptoms. I have been to many Dr.s & all was ok. I went to the Dr. 2 days ago and asked for a CBC & he also took blood to see why I am always tired. (I am normal tired not exhausted tired) Anyway, he told me that I have Chronic Fatigue Syndrome. My blood tests show everything normal. WBC-5.9 / RBC-5.19 / PLATELET COUNT-204 / TOTAL LYMPHOCYTES-30.2 TOTAL NEUTROPHILS-62.8 These and the rest are all in normal range. I took a Epstein Barr VCA IGG AB and that cam back high at 3.54. What do you think?  The EBV CAPSID  AB (IGG.M) came back negative at 0.07. I do not have any fevers, soar throat or anything like that. I am a healthy 36 year old male. I do not smoke, do drugs, straight, and starting to work out & eat right. My cholesterol was very high at 276 with a LDL of 185. In regards to the EBV I also heard that people who were exposed to the virus at a younger age can test high levels as well. What do you think Dr.? Can my immune system be fine with this?
The positive IgG test suggest that you have had Epstein Barr virus (mononucleosis) in the past.  The negative IgM test does not suggest recent infection - thus, I would agree with your physician's assessment.  

Other things to test for would be a thyroid test, vitamin B12 level and an ANA test (looking for rheumatological disease).  If negative, you can consider a neurological referral for another opinion.

Followup with your personal physician is essential.

This answer is not intended as and does not substitute for medical advice - the information presented is for patient education only. Please see your personal physician for further evaluation of your individual case.

Kevin, M.D.
Medical Weblog:
kevinmd_b
In this unique and fascinating report from Missouri Medicine, world-renowned expert Dr. Raymond Moody examines what really happens when we almost die.
Think a loved one may be experiencing hearing loss? Here are five warning signs to watch for.
When it comes to your health, timing is everything
We’ve got a crash course on metabolism basics.
Learn what you can do to avoid ski injury and other common winter sports injury.
Here are the pros and cons of the top fad diets and weight loss plans of the year.