This expert forum is not accepting new questions. Please post your question in one of our medical support communities.
Avatar universal

Inner ear Infection? or something more sinister?


A week ago I woke up with minor ringing in my right ear, it was bearly noticable, so i waited until monday in which it didn't go away, so I went to my doctors, and she took a look inside and saw there was a wax plug, so they put hydrogen peroxide in there, and then irrigated it out with warm water, however that did not stop the ringing, so she gave me a prescription of cipro HC, because she saw there was some irritation in the ear canal

I went back on thursday(a couple days ago) and she took another look inside, and couldn't figure out why it was ringing still, so she referred me to an ENT which I have an appointment with tuesday, the problem atm is

THe ringing is so loud i havn't been able to sleep since thursday, my stomach hurts, and there's so much pressure in my head that it's maddening.

today there's been a burning pain that went from my right ear down to my right shoulder blade, and then there was a large amount of pressure to the base of my skull. My mom insists that it's a inner ear infection, however I'm not sure

Any thoughts?

Read more
Discussion is closed
Upvote - 0
1 Answers
Page 1 of 1
233190 tn?1278553401
Tinnitus is a fairly common symptom and can be difficult to diagnose.  A variety of vascular problems, neurological problems, or anatomic diseases (i.e. masses) can all lead to tinnitus.  Infection can be present as well, and should be appropriately treated.

A complete head and neck exam should be considered.  Tumors in the head or auditory system should also be ruled out, either with a CT scan or MRI.  

A audiogram (hearing test) should also be done.  

These options should be discussed with a specialist.

Followup with your personal physician is essential.

This answer is not intended as and does not substitute for medical advice - the information presented is for patient education only. Please see your personal physician for further evaluation of your individual case.

Kevin, M.D.
Discussion is closed