Family Health Forum
This expert forum is not accepting new questions. Please post your question in one of our medical support communities.
Avatar universal

Lump on Chest


I am a 38 yrs old male 5'10 and about 210 pounds.

I have a lump on my left side of my chest about and inch left of the nipple. I guess it's been there for about 6 months. I'm not sure if it has grown or not. Maybe?!  It's a little less then the size of a dime. It's under the skin and seems to be at the muscle (under some fat of course).  It's hard and a little painful (tender) to touch. I also think the muscle around it is a bit tender.  

Other then this, I feel like I'm in pretty good health.

Any thoughts on what this can be? Should I make an appointment with my PCP?


5 Responses
476634 tn?1207935033
Any time you have a lump in the breast area, you should make an appointment with your doctor, whether you're a man or a woman.  There is a always a small chance (very small in your case because you are male and relatively young) that a lump can be related to breast cancer.  Malignant lumps are more common in an older age group, and usually aren't tender.  The more likely senarios for your case are a cyst, or gynecomastia, which is an enlargment of the breast tissue.  Gynecomastia is usually more central around the nipple though- but if that is the diagnosis, it is important to find out what is causing it.  It is usually benign, but can be a result of hormones from testicular cancer, for example, so should be checked.

There are other benign lumps, such as fibromadenoma, and lipoma, which are possibilities.

It is very likely that this is a benign lump, but you should get it looked at to rule out anything serious.  

Good luck, and let me know how it goes.

Avatar universal
Thanks Dr.K!

Quick question, will the doctor be able to tell what it is by feeling it or is there certain test I should ask for?

I'm sure I'll have to see the  PA first.  

Thanks again!
Avatar universal
Hi Dr. K,

I went to the PA and she doesn't know what it is. She is setting up an Ultra Sound and maybe a mamagram for me. Does that sound about right?

Cann't they just open me up and remove it?

Avatar universal
I'm sorry, I forgot to ask.

There is a place in Sacrmento that does CT scans. If money isn't an issue, would you advise in me getting one?
476634 tn?1207935033
Hi there.
An ultrasound and mammogram are a good place to start (rather than CT, regardless of cost).  If that doesn't give you a definitive answer, they can certainly send you to a surgeon who can biopsy or remove it, which is what I would do if the testing can't tell you for sure.

Good luck.  Keep me posted.

Popular Resources
In this unique and fascinating report from Missouri Medicine, world-renowned expert Dr. Raymond Moody examines what really happens when we almost die.
Think a loved one may be experiencing hearing loss? Here are five warning signs to watch for.
When it comes to your health, timing is everything
We’ve got a crash course on metabolism basics.
Learn what you can do to avoid ski injury and other common winter sports injury.
Here are the pros and cons of the top fad diets and weight loss plans of the year.