This expert forum is not accepting new questions. Please post your question in one of our medical support communities.
Avatar universal

Should I go back to the Dr?

I am 24. F average weight. healthy. nonsmoker. not a big drinker. No depression problems. About a month ago I was diag. w/ mono. The symtoms I had were extreme fatigue, decreased appetite, swollen glands. My temp. usually runs low in the 96.5-96.9 and it was up in the 98deg.
I went to the dr. he did a blood test to confirm the results. I have mono. I cont. working 8.5hrs a day. I normally workout a lot! 8-10hrs a week. I did not workout the first two weeks(okay I think I did one day each week), but I started running on the elliptical trainer about 4 hrs a week. My fatigue decreased. My glands appeared to be shrinking, but then it turned around. My glands got bigger again. I'm tired and fatigued, but I have been having trouble sleeping at night. The main thing is my spleen. It hurts. I have sharp pains. Not extreme pain, but a sharp stabbing like pain that comes and goes all throughout the day. Sometimes it hurts when I breath. I have been under a lot of stress with personal matters (which just started this week, so the symptoms started to appear prior to the added stress.) I feel as though I have gotten a,which could be the reason for the glands enlarging again, and possibly the tirdness/sleeplessness. My throat had become extremely sore. I have also had some chest pain. not my heart, but my lungs. mainly my right. My appetite decreased again, as well. I do not know if I am relapsing or if I just happen to be getting a cold that is going around, is it worth going to the Dr to find out. I wouldn't go if it weren't for the spleen pain.
Discussion is closed
1 Answers
Page 1 of 1
233190 tn?1278553401
I certainly would recommend seeing a physician.

Splenic rupture is a complication from mononucleosis.  If this is suspected, a CT scan can be ordered and the condition treated.  Depending on the severity, treatment can range from supportive care to splenectomy.  

Regarding the glands, you can consider obtaining Epstein-Barr antibody testing to confirm recurrence of the disease.  

Treatment of repeat mononucleosis remains primarily supportive.  There are some small studies using steroids or antiviral therapy, but the results are not conclusive.

These options should be discussed with your personal physician.

Followup with your personal physician is essential.

This answer is not intended as and does not substitute for medical advice - the information presented is for patient education only. Please see your personal physician for further evaluation of your individual case.

Kevin, M.D.
Discussion is closed