Family Health Forum

pain across shoulders when standing

I have pain (1 to 10, 91/2) across shoulders and into the neck when standing or on my feet any length of time.  Please explain.

History; diabetes, kidney failure autonomoic nuropapathy (sp)
Difficult to say without examination.

Possibilities that come to mind can include a pinched nerve, cervical disk disease, rheumatological disease (like polymyalgia rheumatica) and muscle spasm or strain.

Workup can include imaging (like plain films of the neck or an MRI, and a rheumatological workup (including ESR and ANA levels).

A referral to physical therapy can be considered if a muscle spasm or strain is considered.

These options can be discussed with your personal physician.

Followup with your personal physician is essential.

This answer is not intended as and does not substitute for medical advice - the information presented is for patient education only. Please see your personal physician for further evaluation of your individual case.

Kevin, M.D.
http://www.straightfromthedoc.com
A related discussion, shoulder pain was started.
In this unique and fascinating report from Missouri Medicine, world-renowned expert Dr. Raymond Moody examines what really happens when we almost die.
Think a loved one may be experiencing hearing loss? Here are five warning signs to watch for.
When it comes to your health, timing is everything
We’ve got a crash course on metabolism basics.
Learn what you can do to avoid ski injury and other common winter sports injury.
Here are the pros and cons of the top fad diets and weight loss plans of the year.