Pregnancy after Endometrial Ablation

I am looking for more info on pregnancy after an endometrial ablation.  I had an ablation in May 2002.  January 2003 I was not feeling well and went to the family doctor.  She thought it may be an ectopic pregnancy since I was told I was sterile.  I had an ultrasound to discover it was an interuterine pregnancy and I was about 9 weeks.  I am now 17 weeks and for the past month trying to decide to terminate or continue.  I am having a very hard time finding any info on any one with this happening to them and the risks to me or my unborn child.  I have seen several doctors and none of them have ever heard of this happening and 2 have suggested termination.  I have an appointment with a high risk specialist on Thursday (02/27/03).  Please tell me where I can find more info or who to contact.  Thanks.
I am 28 and had an ablation in March, 2007.  I have 2 children. My boyfriend and I have recently started to discuss children, and although we know it may never happe, I would like to know if anyone thinks that it may, if we do have a chance, I really regret having it done, but my periods were so bad!  Now I get very light (almost just a spotting) type of period.  Usually I get one every month, although this month it was just cramping and one day it was a very light spot, almost not noticable.  Any advice or hope?  Thanks!
Hello, please look into Post ligation post ablation syndrome.  There is also Post tubal ligation syndrome.  These conditions and symptoms of each one may give you some insight.  Please google or internet seach.  There is not a lot of information out there but enough to educate you.  If you see one Doctor and he or she disregards you see another.  The 3rd one for me was a specialist that I drove a few hours to see.  I spent one minute explaining my symptoms to him and he did a ultrasound and confirmed.  Now I know that the symptoms where not in my head, I thought it was just me being a hypocondriack or something.  Please check into the PLPAS.  It is rare but I think as more and more women google seach pain after ablation it will not be as rare as they say it it.  (1/2 to 1d%).  Good luck, I hope all works out for you.  As for me I will be having a total hysterectomy next month with hopes to save at least one ovary.
Just wondering if you have went to the doctor and what they are saying about the pregnancy. Please keep us informed if you would!!! Thank you very much!
I had a microablation august 2 years ago, I am 31 years old. My husband and I are discussing having a child but my ob says it is to dangerous. I continued to have menstruals they are just really light. Are there any test or ultrasounds that can be done to see how much of the uterus lining is there and find out any more details before going through with this. Has anyone gotten pregnant and carried successfully? Thanks for any info
yes, he is correct. i had an ablation 11 months ago and my linning is 5.5mm. you can have it checked by ultrasound. you should not have had an ablation if you wanted more kids and should have been told that prior!! it is very very dangerous and will not turn out well. there is always adoption.hope this helps.
What should the lining be? Can you explain to me why I still have a period if there is no lining there?
yes, you still have a linning but the after the ablation, it is much thinner. i still get a kight period every month but my linning is 5.5. i believe that you need around an 8 or 9mm linning to conceive and be able to sustain the pregnancy. if the linning is too thin, then there is nothing for the embreo to attach to, and nothing to then nourish it. it is really easy to find out your linning. just ask your doctor for a trans-vaginal ultra sound. they can tell you exactly what the thickness is. also, you may want to ask your doctor why he didn't tell you that you cannot carry a baby to term after an ablation??
I had endometrial ablation in 1997. I had 4 children & wasn't planning anymore. I became pregnant in 2001. Premature labour end with emergency caesarean at 25 weeks. My son was 880gm at birth and 32 cm long. He had bleeding in his lungs and brain, bowel problems and associated problems common to extreme prematurity. The oxygen resulted in Retinopathy of prematurity, which was treated with laser surgery to both eyes. He was in hospital for 97 days. My son is now 6 YEARS OLD, & very healthy. He wears glasses only for distance and has never required any other surgeries. He is very intelligent showing no side effects from the brain bleeds. His only-on going treatments are physio and occupational therapy for low muscle tone which may/may not be linked to prematurity. When I found out I was pregnant, I consulted the doctor who performed the ablation his advice was - terminate! I'm glad I didn't.
i am happy that you have this child and i am sure he is wonderful and you love him dearly. but just reading your story shows us once again how dangerous it IS to go ahead and get pregnant after an ablation. for all of you people out there thinking about this.....think long and hard!! it will not end up well....how many times do you all need to BE TOLD!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Thank you for your comment and advice. I am going to see a high risk ob in a couple of weeks and have him tell me what my lining is. I will let you know what he says. I would have to have a complete tubal reversal before conceiving so there is no chance of me getting pregnant without knowing. We obviously do not want to spend the $$$$ to reverse and then conceive and risk my or my unborn childs life and have that grief and stress in our lives. We just want to be absolutely sure that there is no option for naturally conceiving and carrying a child to term before we remove the thought from our minds. My ob did tell me that I shouldn't get pregnant after the ablation but I was under the impression that I had no alternative to the surgery and don't feel that I was properly educated on exactly what I was doing and what the future would hold.
I am happy to know that you had a successful turn out with your pregnancy and your son. That is awesome that he is doing so well. I can't imagine having to endure what you did and am thankful that everything turned out the way it did. Thanks for your comment.
While my situation did have a happy ending, I was not intending to encourage anyone to put themselves at risk. I now know I was not properly informed about the procedure or risks.  
While I had 4 children (aged 11-17) my 2nd  husband (aged 42) had no children. I would not have chosen to get pregnant but it was not unwelcomed. An ultrasound, at 8 weeks, showed no reason that the pregnancy was not viable. Doctors here (Brisbane, Australia) had little idea what to expect, so I was given more frequent tests and ultrasounds at my local hospital. My pregnancy was entirely normal until I went into premature labour. I may have had increased risks of complications, but I was also older (39) and under huge stress from my ex-husband were also factors.
My advice, to anyone in this situation, would be to get the best medical advice and testing available, from qualified specialists, before making a decision.
I was very happy to find this site.  I had an ablation in August 2005 and now I am 6 1/2 months pregnant.  I went into preterm labor but with medication it has stopped.  I am on medication every 4 hours to keep things under control.  I am very worried about delivery and what could happen, but I have a healthy baby girl developing normal.  Since 2005 I did not think I could have children any more.  I have a great 13 year old, but still did not want to give up that chance of another baby.  But the doctor said I need the surgery, ablation, so I went along with it.  Since then I had not used any form of birth control because I was told that I could not get pregnant.  I resently got married and went to the doctor (New OB) to check my odds of pregnancy just in case we wanted to try.  They did an ultrasound and sound that with all of my lining gone except one little spot that pregnancy was less then .05% change.  So I did not think we could have a baby.  Well now things are a little different.  I have to stay in bed all day and just hope I do not loss my job.  I have noticed that if I stay stress free and relaxed I do not have any contractions and the day goes by fine.  But the minute I start worrying about things and thinking about everything that is not getting done I will have a contraction.  But 27 weeks this Friday and just counting each day as a blessing.  I hope this will help others and I hope others have information for me.  I am scared of what is to come, but feeling her grow inside of me is wonderful and is a miracle.  Pregnancy in itself is a gift from god.  I am just trying to take one day at a time.  
HI!!! It is so WONDERFUL to hear such GOOD NEWS! I would love to follow you through this through e-mail. I went to visit a High Risk OB yesterday to find out what my odds are and he gave me a lot of information and was very optimistic. I am praying for the right decision, I will need to have a tubal revearsal before I can try and conceive. I found another very encouraging site that you might be interested in and it is www.steadyhealth.com. You type in the same questions and will see all kinds of positive reinforcement from various women whom have experienced or want to experience pregnancy again after ablation. My e-mail address is hilyer 204 @ charter . net ( I have to put the spaces in or it want show the address, so delete the spaces inbetween everything and that is my address.
to christyhilyer, i am curious, what did the doctor say was your lining neasurement? mine was 5.5 and they said it needed to be around 7-9mm for a viable pregnancy. thanks.
My situation has paraellels some of yours. I am 39 yrs/o, with 4 children 13 to 9 yrs. The father of my children had a vasectomy before our youngest was born & he was deemed sterile. It worked for almost 4 yrs but I got pregnant after his vasectomy in 2002! Due to stress I miscarried at 12 weeks & we got divorced in 2003. I had a laser endometrial ablation in 2002 & I just found out I am pregnant. I have been to a dr., had an ultra sound done & to my added astonishment the tec said the linning of my uterus measured completely normal. They wre unable to see the baby or where it has attatched because we figured I am under 2 weeks pregnant. I explained to the nurses that I had very light flow only spotiing for a couple of days since the procedure. Obviously I was done having children & I have very mixed feelings. Eventhough I am prochoice I beleive only God can give or take life so I am unwilling to terminate (evidenced by my pregnancy history). Luckily I am in a relationship with a very supportive & loving man who has 2 children 14 & 6. He will support me in whatever decisions I may need to make. I am also scared of the possible outcomes so I would like to see if anyone who knows about succesful prenancies and birth after endometrial ablation can give me information or insightfulness.
I don't know the answer to that yet, but my appt. for that is on Monday morning. I will post and let you know what they say.
We were just discussing ablation at work today. It has been suggested to me, but I am not going to have it done. I know the one lady at work said that the doc told her to get her tubes tied when she had the ablation, because the uterus loses elasticity with the procedure. She was told that a pregnancy would rupture the uterus.

Another lady I work with told me that she had one a long time ago. She said that her lining healed adn returned to normal.
yes, that is what i was told as well. that the structure of the uterus changes and the lining is so thin and brittle that a pregnancy poses a real threat to both the baby and the mother. you can have a rupture and bleed to death. i was also told the lining can grow back, but never to where it was before the ablation. even if it does grow back it takes years and the uterus has already changed.  i hate to bear bad news, but i really want everyone to make the right choice and of course stay healthy!! please all of you who are pregnant or trying....keep us and everybody posted. we all need to help one another. thanks and god bless all of you!