Fertility / Infertility Forum

Endometriosis or what?

For as long as I can remember I've been having menstrual cycle issues (cramps, irregular periods). I also had cysts at an early age. I'm 38 now, tried to get pregnant with my ex-husband several years ago, and have "actively" (OPK, etc.) been TTC w/my new partner for about 3 years. When we got together in 2009 I started having mid-cycle bleeding, bleeding after sex, etc.. I saw an ob gyn in June 2010, had an ultrasound, which showed a cyst and the ob said: 'It's just a hiccup in your cycle'. I then got pregnant, but had a miscarriage end of December at 6 weeks (no D&C). In 2011 more irregular bleeding, pain, cramping, and other symptoms, which I thought were bad PMS, like lower back aches, abdominal pain, bloating, extreme mood swings/depression, nausea, fatigue, constipation, hair loss, you name it! I went back to the gynecologist and pushed for infertility evaluation. All tests (including my partner's semen analysis) were fine. In November 2011 we were finally referred to a fertility specialist who suggested hormonal stimulation and IUI, and prescribed thyroid medication for me (Levothyroxin 75mcg). Unfortunately my company switched to another health insurance for 2012, which doesn't cover fertility, so we couldn't afford to even start treatment (talk about bad timing!). It was all so stressful, so I decided to take a break from TTC. My mid-cycle bleeding, pain etc. kept getting worse, so I finally decided to go to a different ob gyn 2 weeks ago. The exam was extremely painful, so the dr said I probably have endometriosis. I had another ultrasound and have to get blood work done on CD3, then he wants to do a laparoscopy. Since then I've had a few  painful days, bloating, but NO mid-cycle bleeding! How does it suddenly disappear? Has it all been "in my head"? Do I need a laparoscopy? Could it be something else besides endometriosis? I'm confused! I just want to know what's wrong with me, and get pregnant because the biological clock is ticking! Thanks for a reply!
Hi!
Your history is certainly suggestive of endometriosis.  If you were my patient, I would certainly consider a laparoscopy at this point.  Something that can be done at the time of laparoscopy is injection of dye into the fallopian tubes to determine whether they are blocked or open.  (you may have already had this done, but it wouldn't hurt to do it again).  Sounds like your new doctor may be more proactive than your last one.
Good luck!
Dr B
Many couples are turning to acupuncture to treat infertility. But does it work? We take a closer look.
Does exercise really lower fertility? We take a look at 8 common myths about fertility.
Your guide to safely exercising throughout your 40 weeks.
Learn which foods aren't safe to eat when you're eating for two.
Is your biological clock sounding the alarm? Dr. Elaine Brown explains new advances in egg freezing.
For people with Obsessive-Compulsive Disorder (OCD), the COVID-19 pandemic can be particularly challenging.