Fertility / Infertility Forum

Question about number of follicles.

Hello. I am doing my 3rd IVF now. (2 IVF with no succes) I am on Repronex, Follistim and Cetrotide. Yesterday I had U/S and doctor said she expects only 5-6 follicles to mature. I was crushed, because I was hoping for more. I am 30 years old and last 2 IVFs I had 6-8 follicles retrieved and most of them were fertilized. My doctor was pleased with the quality of them. Is this normal for 30 year old?

I also had Day 3 FSH done few month ago and came back 9.2. I just had one more FSH done and this came back 2. Is this normal for FSH to change from month to month.  
Dear Shishka-

FSH levels fluctuate, so that is normal.

The average number of eggs retrieved in a 30 year old undergoing IVF is probably 12-13, but quality, not quantity, is what counts. Most of the time it is better to be 30 years old with 6-8 eggs than it is to be 38 years old with 15 eggs, so try not to be too crushed. It only takes one good egg! At age 30, even with fewer than average eggs and two prior IVF cycles, your chances remain very good.

Good luck.
Many couples are turning to acupuncture to treat infertility. But does it work? We take a closer look.
Does exercise really lower fertility? We take a look at 8 common myths about fertility.
Your guide to safely exercising throughout your 40 weeks.
Learn which foods aren't safe to eat when you're eating for two.
Is your biological clock sounding the alarm? Dr. Elaine Brown explains new advances in egg freezing.