Fertility / Infertility Forum

what do i do next

i have been off of birth control for a year and half. was on it for 5 years. my periods are not coming every month. so should i do next. im trying to get pregant.
Hi!
If you were my patient, I would recommend a couple of things.  I would suggest that you try ovulation predictors, and a couple of blood tests.  I like to do my testing this way: If you consider the first day of your period to be cycle day 1, I do an FSH, TSH and prolactin level on cycle day 3.  I then have my patients use the ovulation predictors on days 11-16. I then like to do a progesterone level on day 21 to confirm ovulation.
If my patient is not ovulating ( irregular periods certainly suggests that someone is not ovulating regularly) I would then consider some additional testing for Polycystic Ovary Syndrome, and would consider starting her on Metformin and/or Femara to help her ovulate each month and therefore increase the chances for conception.
Hope this helps!
Dr B
Many couples are turning to acupuncture to treat infertility. But does it work? We take a closer look.
Does exercise really lower fertility? We take a look at 8 common myths about fertility.
Your guide to safely exercising throughout your 40 weeks.
Learn which foods aren't safe to eat when you're eating for two.
Is your biological clock sounding the alarm? Dr. Elaine Brown explains new advances in egg freezing.
For people with Obsessive-Compulsive Disorder (OCD), the COVID-19 pandemic can be particularly challenging.