Aa
A
A
A
Close
Fertility and Trying to Conceive Community
23.4k Members

Artificial insemination

I have read that if you have had tubes tied that artificial insemination can be a method to get pregnant because they can bypass the tubes. Is this true?
1 Responses
15439126 tn?1444443163
Well, I know that implanting a fertilized egg directly into the  womb is certainly a workable approach (expensive, but it bypasses the tubes completely).

You're referring to your tubes, right? (& not a vascetomy in him where he's had his tubes snipped & tied)

Aritifical insemination is usually just mechanically (using a kinda turkey baster but more clinically appropriate) squirting his or a donor's semen into you.  If your tubes were tied then your eggs aren't being released usefully (and I don't know about surgical methods to deal with that situation, as I really do not think it would be useful to try to dig into an ovary to retrieve an egg).  The question to ask your doctor would be:  can your tubes be untied and reconnected so they work again?  If not, I think your womb might still be used to implant a fertized egg but the egg would need to come from a donor.
Top Trying to Conceive Answerers
5875562 tn?1410898886
miami, FL
4769306 tn?1568490209
NC
Learn About Top Answerers
Didn't find the answer you were looking for?
Ask a question
Popular Resources
Many couples are turning to acupuncture to treat infertility. But does it work? We take a closer look.
Does exercise really lower fertility? We take a look at 8 common myths about fertility.
Your guide to safely exercising throughout your 40 weeks.
Learn which foods aren't safe to eat when you're eating for two.
Is your biological clock sounding the alarm? Dr. Elaine Brown explains new advances in egg freezing.
For people with Obsessive-Compulsive Disorder (OCD), the COVID-19 pandemic can be particularly challenging.