Fertility and Trying to Conceive Community

Artificial insemination

I have read that if you have had tubes tied that artificial insemination can be a method to get pregnant because they can bypass the tubes. Is this true?
Well, I know that implanting a fertilized egg directly into the  womb is certainly a workable approach (expensive, but it bypasses the tubes completely).

You're referring to your tubes, right? (& not a vascetomy in him where he's had his tubes snipped & tied)

Aritifical insemination is usually just mechanically (using a kinda turkey baster but more clinically appropriate) squirting his or a donor's semen into you.  If your tubes were tied then your eggs aren't being released usefully (and I don't know about surgical methods to deal with that situation, as I really do not think it would be useful to try to dig into an ovary to retrieve an egg).  The question to ask your doctor would be:  can your tubes be untied and reconnected so they work again?  If not, I think your womb might still be used to implant a fertized egg but the egg would need to come from a donor.