Fertility and Trying to Conceive Community

Clomiphene Citrate, does it really work??

Hi my name is Jessica and I have been trying to conceive for over 7 years. I am currently going on 27 years old. My ex husband and I met when I was 17 and we recently divorced right before my 25th birthday. Needless to say, we tried the entire time to conceive, and I NEVER once conceived. Since the divorce, I have found a new love and we have been trying to conceive and again, I have not been able to do so =(. I finally have good enough insurance and I have had an ultra sound, and an HSG test (tube test) *which came back normal* done and my boyfriend had his sperm checked *which came out perfect* . My period's have been between 24 to 26 days apart and after the HSG test, my periods are now 27 days apart, so I am kind of wondering if the HSG test helped clear unseen blockage. Anyhow, my doctor decided to put me on Clomid. I am suppose to start taking the pills tonight before bed, days 3-7 of my cycle. I am SO  very nervous and more than anything, I am discouraged =-/ ....

I have so many doubts and questions running through my mind. I guess the first one I need to start with, is can anyone relate to my situation at all? I go to the doc to see what's wrong with me and it seems as though it cannot be pinpointed, therefore I am taking clomid to see if it helps. I would love to hear success rate stories if at all possible. I really need a positive outlook on taking clomid because I find myself loosing all hope. I just found out that 2 more people I know are pregnant and a good friend of mine just had a baby girl on March 6th, 2011 and I was in the delivery room with her. It was a beautiful first time experience, but I am anxious for my turn. It's my dream to be a mother!!

Can anyone help with some answers to their own experiences? Thank you in advance!! : )
Oh - my heart goes out to you!!  I am 32 and just barely got pregnant thanks to IVF!  I took clomid on and off for almost 7 years and it never helped me.  But don't give up hope!  If your dream is to be a mother (my dream too!), it will happen when the time is right!!
Hi there, thank you so much for responding to my post! I really appreciate the support!! I know you are not trying to discourage me and congrats on becoming preggers!!! : ) I hope the clomid works, although I wouldn't mind doing the IVF, I just could never afford the procedure. I am keeping my fingers crossed and hoping that this clomid works. I will never give up hope!!! Thanks again!!
I know exactly how you feel.  I'm 26, about to be 27 in May, and my husband and I have been trying for 19 months.  I know 15 people that are pregnant, and while I'm so happy for my friends, I'm incredibly jealous.  I was dx'd with PCOS last april, and had corrective surgery 3 weeks later.  I did my first round of clomid last summer, and I did conceive.  Unfortunately, it ended in blighted ovum - but to no fault of the clomid, it was a chromosomal defect.  I just took clomid for the 2nd time beginning cd3 on 2/27 and am now in my 2ww.  I don't really know if I O on my own, I never got pregnant in the 8 or 9 months while off of clomid, but with my follicle scan, I know that I got some pretty good sized follicles ready with clomid both times.  I know we all say this, but it will happen.  I'm still trying for #1, and I see all these women who want to give up at times, but I refuse to give up until I am a mommy.  Best of luck to you babe!!  SSBD!!!
Thank you for your response : ) First off, I am so sorry to hear about the blighted ovum. I know that must have been very hard for you. And you are right, it will happen. It's just a matter of time. For years I thought something was wrong with me. But after I took all the necessary tests, I seem to be ok except my doc doesn't know if I am ovulating. So here I am trying the clomid. I am just anxious is all and I love to hear how this medicine has helped women become pregnant, because it gives me a boost of confidence, of which I need because I can be so bitter at times. I refuse to give up!! Please keep me posted on how you are doing. I am on my 5th day of my cycle, so I am not close yet, but hopefully by this time next month I can post some good news!!

Best of Luck to You as well!!! : D!!!
I will definitely keep you updated, please do the same!!  What cycle days does your doctor have you taking the clomid?  Are you going in for a follicle scan sometime around cd13 or 14?  This will let you know if the clomid worked and if you have follicles ready to release eggs.  If you have some that are mature enough to release, they may give you an HCG shot (I get 5000 units of it) to help progress O, and tell you to BD the day before and day after, or day of and day after depending on your doc.  I will say, we started BD'ing on cd 8 and then every other day after, which ended up falling on the day before and the day after my trigger - so I'm just hoping we caught something!!!  I have tested already and know that the trigger is out of my system (warning, the HCG shot WILL give you pregnancy symptoms and a false positive - and it's heartbreaking and exciting at the same time).  I will also say that this site has been absolutely amazing, and has helped me beyond words, to deal with all of this.  DH is great and all, but he doesn't get it, and just tries to be happy when I am, and comforting when I'm upset.  
Me and my husband have been trying to conceive for a year and seven months and still no luck. Doctor put me on 50mg clomid for six months and i had no luck with it. Me and my husband both have been tested and we are good. Don't give up hope!!!
I know what its like to go through this - but you have time on your side.  You're only 27, so don't stress.

I'm almost 37 and have been TTC for 3 years.  I also have 'unexplained' infertility - although i was able to get pregnant once at 35 naturally, but i had a miscarrage at 8 weeks.  I also got pregnant after my first IUI (with clomid) - but i lost those babies at 18 weeks.

I've been trying again since November with clomid and IUI but haven't had any luck.  I'm trying to be positive, but every month that passess i just get more discouraged.  I wish i were 27!

good luck to you!
Hi there, sorry it took so long for me to reply ...

My doctor has me taking clomphimene citrate day 3 through 7 of my cycle. So I just finished my 5th pill last night. As far as a follicle scan, I was not informed of having one done. I am however suppose to go for a progesterone blood test on day 21 of my cycle to tell me if I ovulated or not. I wonder if it ends up taking me a while to conceive, if maybe my doc will recommend the follicle scan? I am already beginning the bd'ing every other day since my cycle ended. =) I am very anxious. I am also going to take Robitussin to help create a thinner cervical mucus for me, I noticed that the clomid has made it more thick n sticky. Has this happened to you?? I have also had massive headaches. I hope it goes away since I already took my last pill.

I can't wait to hopefully hear good news coming from you soon!! I'm sending you lots n lots of baby dust!!!
Hi there!! Just wanted to say thank you for the support and encouragement to not give up hope!! It means alot!! =)
Hello =)

First of all I would like to take the time and send my condolences to you for the loss of your babies. My good friend who at the time was 39, had a miscarriage around 18 weeks and I was there with her through the delivery. I can only imagine how you and her must feel. As a matter of fact, just this past Feb we celebrated his memory of the day he was born/passed.

Secondly, Thank you for responding! I am def grateful for the time I do have left on my side. I just want to be able to have a few children before I keep getting older, just in case any complications arise. It has always been my dream to be a mother and I always told myself that if I didn't conceive by the time I was 26, then I would look into it. The thing with me is, I have NEVER once conceived. So it has me concerned, considering there are no signs of infertility ya know.

I know you said you have been trying since November, has your doctor recommended taking anything else? I have read on some of the other posts that some women take other fertility drugs that seem to work. I am not sure of the names, I apologize.

Thank you for all of the good luck! I send good luck your way! Just know that you will become pregnant again!!
Hey girl - sorry I haven't replied sooner - how are things?  You should be on what, day 9 now right?  Were you able to ask about a follicle scan or trigger shot?  I don't think I would do clomid without the scan, because there's really no way to know if you're reacting to it properly, unless your using OPK and temping - but I was doing that this month and it really just made me more frustrated.  I learned the 2WW is frustrating and stressful enough - so I just decided to switch RE's and am going to take this month off.
No worries ;-). Its been hectic for me as well. Things seem good. I'm on day 15 of my cycle. The opk tests have been working sat, sun n today. So I def have the hormone. I go this coming Sunday for a blood test to see if I ovulated. What exactly is a trigger shot? I'm sorry things are becoming frustrating for you. I hope it gets better for you with your new RE :).
Glad the OPK's have been working for you :)  I always worry about them not being accurate so I don't use them, though I probably should.  Hopefully you got plenty of BD'ing in during your O!!  So when you go in for your b/w are they going to check your progesterone levels?  The trigger shot is basically 5k or 10k miu of HCG used to make sure you ovulate once it's confirmed you have mature follicles.  For example, I went in on cd 13 for my follicle scan, confirmed I had 3 mature follicles, and was given 5k miu.  Unfortunately for us, we didn't catch one.  The trigger is supposed to make you ovulate within 36-48 hours, but with my temps, I have a feeling I didn't O for 4 days which is why we didn't catch one (which is really unusual to O that late after trigger).  If you did O though, you are officially in the 2WW!!!!  Yay!!!
Thank you so much : )!! I am on the same page as you and I worry about the accuracy of the OPK'S. It's funny that they never worked for me before the tube test and now all of the sudden they are working. Do you think that I may have had slight blockage and the HSG test could have cleared it out allowing the eggs to pass through now? I ask only because before the test my periods were 24 days apart and they are now 27 days apart. I will find out on the 9th if the clomid did or did not work! Did the Clomid  extend your period at all? Oh and to answer your question, yes I went today just for the progesterone levels. That is all that they are testing me for. They have not mentioned anything bout the trigger shot or follicle scans. And what exactly does the 2WW mean? Sorry, lol, I am just now getting a hang of some of the abbreviations to the fertility world lol. I know we pin pointed the right days for conception, I just have this ugly feeling I probably didn't conceive. Seems as though most blogs confirm the Clomid working by the 3rd month. I wonder if that is accurate.
You don't want your periods only 24 days...the longer your luteal phase the better chance of implantation.  Depending on what your progesterone comes back as - your doctor might put you on progesterone supplements after ovulation.  Even if you luteal phase is ok (the days after ovulation up to your period) you could not be a strong ovulator and the progesterone will help!  The two times I took it after I had an IUI I got pregnant.  The first ended in a missed misscariage, and I am currently 6 weeks pregnant...my progesterone is great!

You should have already had your Day 21 test, right?  What was the result?
Well, clomid worked for me the first month - but I had PCOS and had surgery to correct it.  I really just think I haven't caught my ovulation since then so that's why I have finally broken down to try the OPK's this month on a natural cycle.  Hopefully my new RE will have me do a medicated cycle with IUI and go from there.  I've had 3 friends give birth in the last 2 weeks, I have 3 more ready in the next few weeks (and 3 baby showers to attend).  It's so frustrating.  As happy as I am for them - I want it for me too!!  

BTW - 2WW is two-week wait.  The longest, most unbearable wait of your life.  haha.
Congrats! : D! Yay! I am happy for you! I really appreciate your feedback! My progesterone level is 28.24. That's good right?
Good to hear back from you! : ) I know its really hard to be surrounded by pregnant woman and even those who just gave birth. I feel your pain 100%. Try to keep your chin up. Try not to give up on the OPK's. They never use to work for me until after the hsg test. I have learned for myself, the key is to not give up. Have you tried taking your temp? I think it works. Although I am still learning.

Oh and thank you for the 411 on the 2ww lol. I appreciate that : ). Oh n my progesterone level was 28.24. So I'm hoping that is good.
Well I know nothing about hormone levels, other than HCG, so I don't know what progesterone levels should be.  Part of the reason I'm switching to a new RE, because not a lot was explained to me at my previous OB/RE.  I'm trying temping properly and using OPK's this month for the first time.  Last month I was temping after I got out of bed, so this month I'm doing it before I even sit up.  It's a natural cycle this month, keeping fingers crossed, but hoping for IUI next month if it doesn't work.

I see BFP's in our future!!
I see ... I never knew much about the hormone levels before now. I was told by my nurse that my doc was looking for anything over a 3! So my levels are super high. Which she said means that I for sure had at least 1 fully mature egg. I also did my own research and progesterone is needed in order for implantation to occur.

Here is the website: http://www.early-pregnancy-tests.com/lutealphase.html

Many woman who have low progesterone suffer from miscarriage. So I know it's a good sign that my level was so high, but whether I actually conceived or not is a whole other situation. I would def say to track your temp. Always take it first thing in the morning before you even sit up! Keep it by your bed. It works!

I went online and printed a chart and it can be found at this website : http://www.womenshealth.gov/pregnancy/mom-to-be-tools/basal-temperature-chart.pdf

The two times the OPK's actually worked for me, they did not start working until the 14th day of my cycle. The first time was without clomid and this second time was with the clomid. The first time the hormone showed up day 14, 15 and 16. The second time it showed up day 14, 15, 16 and 17, then I ran out of sticks. lol. I know we made good timing but we shall see.

I really hope and pray that this month is the month for you!!! : D!!! IUI sounds good too, so try not to lose hope! *hugs*

I SEE THEM TOO = ))))))!!!!!!

Hey!
Im currently on my first cycle of clomid and very nervous about what the results of my progesterone levels will be! I hope that I did ovulate, but I know I shouldnt be discouraged if not seeing that this is my first cycle.  

I have done one month of BBT (well missed a few days so i guess its not accurate)  But when I talked to my doctor about charting my BBT, checking my cervix and CM she told me not to worry about doing that.  That it would just drive me crazy to be doing it daily and let her handle it.  I was a bit discouraged because I thought it would be good information for both of us to have.  The only "monitoring" she is doing is checking my progesterone levels.  I think im just going to start doing it all again at the beginning of my next cycle, just for myself.  Would it benefit me to do OPK's as well.  I have read that women with PCOS may get false results.  Do you think I should?!

It is hard having so many friends/family getting pregnant around you when you want that for yourself sooo bad.  Im truly happy for everyone but then there is that part of me that gets a little sad inside because my turn hasn't come yet : (

I hope to hear from you soon and wish you the best of luck on your journey TTC!!!

Hi There!! Good to hear from you : ) This site has been amazing for so much support and information.

I had my first round of clomid during my March cycle of which I am still currently in. Today is officially my 28th day. Before the clomid, I would never ever go past 26 days. Typically 24 days was my "normal" cycle. I took clomid days 3 through 7 of my cycle. I had the progesterone blood work on April 4th, the 21st day of my cycle. My levels were 28.24. I was a lot like you and tracked my temperature and took OPK's. I am not too familiar with the PCOS because I have not been diagnosed. I wish I could give more feedback on that in particular. However, me, being the impatient one lol, I called this past Friday to have my clomid prescription filled just automatically because I just knew my cycle was gonna show up. Well, luckily, the nurse that I talk to is as sweet as can be and talked over everything with me of which I really needed since the lord knows I lack patience...

Long story short, when I started asking her questions about the success rate on clomid, bbt temperature taking and opk's, she had to slow me down because she could obviously tell how I over analyzed all of this. So she told me that the reason they give me a calendar with a list of things to do while taking the clomid, is for a reason and that reason is because they know what they are doing. She said that I do not need to take my temperature for the simple fact that the clomid causes the bbt tempt to be way off. Then she said I could take the OPK's but its only for my own reassurance but that they take the progesterone levels on a certain day to tell me whether I reacted positively to the clomid (whether I did or did not ovulate) . I was told that anything over a 3 is great and what they are looking for to tell them if I ovulated. So from my results, I def without a doubt ovulated. When it came to the success rate of clomid, she explained to me that most women who do not use help, conceive typically within 6 months. So with the help of something like clomid and with a good reaction to it, it should work. She explained that I just need to relax and not stress and to let them monitor everything, that is why they are there, to help! I asked all about implantation and signs of it and blah blah blah, lol, and she said they could do everything in the world right now to try and get an answer but it is way too soon because it takes 7 days from the day of conception for the fertilized egg to implant and 7 days from implantation for the HCG hormone to even show up on a test, hence the reason why we are suppose to wait till our missed cycle. She also explained to me that all of these women who post "symptoms" about the 2 week waiting period are really not symptoms, simply just reactions to hormones.

My confusion came into play when she told me the clomid makes our cycle longer and that it could be a 28 to 35 day cycle. She pointed out that before the clomid my cycles were shorter than normal and that with being on the clomid, they would obviously become longer. So here it is my 28th day of my cycle and I am nerved wrecked because I have never had this long of a cycle yet I am not getting my hopes up because I know my next cycle could show up still within the next 7 days. Blehh ...

My advice to you would be to yes, use the OPK's if you believe it will bring you some sort of peace of mind. Because those are harmless. I mean I had them show up positive for 4 straight days and my nurse told me that it should have only showed up one day, so that confused me. But needless to say, they do work. She said that regardless, as long as I have sex when they tell me to, then I do not need to monitor but that the OPK's are ok. So if I were you, I would only do that much monitoring. One thing I am learning within this little amount of time on clomid, is that we need to learn to trust our doctors and just follow the steps and "try" not to stress on all of the little things behind taking it and behind the signs of pregnancy. because let me tell ya, I have done nothing but stress on ALL of it. Talking to my nurse really brought me to a calm state of mind through it all. I am keeping in mind that if this is not my month, its ok because I have 5 more cycles to try....

The key is to not give up hope and to let our doctors do their job and help us. There is no sense in worrying about monitoring everything, including symptoms. Those are things you do when you dont have help. Now that we have help, we need to let them help. Our part needs to be easy  now. I know, I know, easier said than done. lol. So if you have PCOS and are worried about the false results, then I would say maybe dont use them and just let your doctors monitor it all. We need to keep in mind that this is our first round and it may take a bit for our bodies to get use to the hormone. At least we now have help.

I believe that we should keep the internet searching to a minimum and keep connected with people like ourselves through this site for support and to hear others personal experiences. I hope that I have somewhat helped you with my long long response lol. It all comes from my heart. Because my heart goes out to everyone trying to conceive.

Hang in there!! I am also wishing you the best of luck on your journey TTC! It will happen sooner or later and I believe sooner since we do have help!!! Talk to you soon!!!
Hey : )  Thank you so much for your reply!  I'm sorry AF came....(ugh) I hope that round 2 works for you! I'll keep you in my thoughts and prayers!

Sounds like you have a very nice and helpful nurse!  Thats so awesome! Mine is well....not to quick to get back to me with my questions, its pretty frustrating but what can I do.  (Besides request another doctor bc shes her nurse)  And yes I too am looking for those signs of implantation, even took a pregnancy test wayyyyy to early knowing what the results would be : ( So anxious! But I really need to relax I know!

I think I have decided I'm not going to do any tracking of BBT and so on.  With the knowledge of knowing my BBT can be off due to clomid no use in freaking myself out right? : /   I know stress can affect TTC and we should be doing what we can to eliminate it (easier said than done lol).  I think a part of my problem is I feel really left in the dark because my doctor isn't monitoring me as closely as I feel I should be.  No follicle scans or HCG shot.  I may try the OPK's but its hard to decide because I don't know if it will really help me with the PCOS  : /  

When I asked my doctor about doing more than just progesterone blood work (take into account I was new to all of this) she said she doesn't do anything besides that.  Kinda weird I thought but I didn't really know better, just some things I read on the internet (oh the internet! lol)  I will talk to my doctor and if she cant do anything further for me maybe I should look for another.  Because like you and most of us this is our DREAM!! cant be waisting time lol!

I sooo agree with keeping internet searching to a minimum.  This site has been extremely helpful being able to talk to other women who have the same issues.  I am so thankful for you all!  I hate we have to go through this but at least we have each other to help us and support one another.  I really appreciate you taking the time to respond your awesome!  I'm really hoping one day we will be swapping pictures of our newborns!!!! Fingers crossed!!!  Keep in touch : )
Hi There!!! :)

Sorry it took me so long to reply, I don't always get updates.

From my personal experience, so far, with this infertility stuff, it seems as though we should learn to trust our doctors a little bit more. At least until we are completely proven wrong. I believe they are the ones who know what they are doing. The follicle scanning and trigger shots are not something they do right off the bat. I think that if you are anything like me, (anxious) lol, then you want everything possible that can be done, to be done. I am only getting as much monitoring as you are ;-). I was even told that since my first progesterone test came back good, that I will no longer be getting the blood test done. I feel a little iffy about that but I am learning to trust what they are telling me. I actually like my nurse better than my doctor lol shhhh, jk. I personally feel that the doctors and nurses are looking at us like we are jumping the gun and we need to at least give the clomid a better chance.

I know that you have PCOS, but I have read many success stories with clomid for women in your position. The key, is to not stress : D! Always easier said than done but that is why I look for the positive feedback and focus on that, rather than the other. I really hope that we both become a success story soon! It will prove what can be done with just a little bit of help. Never give up girlie! We can do this. Although, I know my life is a bit hectic and stressful right now due to the certain circumstances, I am learning to find excitement in trying to conceive, even through it all. Somethings gotta give. Its our time!!! I feel it in my bones!!!

I too, appreciate all of the time and effort you have put into responding to me as well : D! I just know our dream will come true! We will be swapping newborn pics, sooner than later!! Fingers and eyes crossed!! lol. I will for sure keep in touch!