Fertility and Trying to Conceive Community

Metformin

Hello I have pcos and I've done one cycle of just clomid, the doc said if it doesn't work within 3 months they are putting me on metformin as well as clomid.. what does the metformin actually do? X
I been on metformin for 9 years its suppose to lower your blood sugars and help with you regular menstrual cycles but it only works when taking eveyday diet and exercise. In my opinion if your looking to conceive im not sure how well it works. I still havent been pregnant.  But i am trying this new supplement Called pregnitude i wish you luck.
Nowadays doctors are stopping to use metformin kindly read and do some r&d. Initially even i was on Metformin for PCOD and my doctor suggested to stop it.
Eat healthy and combat PCOD through right diet and exercise
Metformin is a medicine that is commonly used to treat people with type 2 diabetes. It makes the body's cells more sensitive to insulin. This may result in a decrease in the blood level of insulin which may help to counteract the underlying cause of PCOS - see above. Other newer insulin-sensitising medicines include pioglitazone. This is not currently recommended for PCOS. For certain people with PCOS, a specialist may advise that metformin be taken. However, further research is needed to confirm the role of these medicines in the treatment of PCOS.
It's not only diet and exercise with pcos. I was diagnosed with atypical pcos and have never been overweight. I'm very active and eat healthy. Metformin has helped me have regular periods now for the last 5 months. Before taking it I was getting maybe one period a year.