November 2010 IVF-ers

Today September 23, I had my Beta result for my second IVF, it was negative.  My first IVF worked but then ended in a miscarriage at 6 weeks.  I was really hoping this time worked but it didnt sooooo ...... here I am waiting for this menstrual cycle to finish and waiting for the next one around the end of October to start my 3rd IVF journey and Im looking for friends and November IVF buddies so we can share questions, knowledge and help eachother with the wait during and after this process.  Cant wait to meet you all.

A healthy pregnancy as a Christmas gift sounds GREAT!!!
Sort by: Helpful Oldest Newest
Sorry missed you,  wow you are a little ahead of me, Im so happy for you to be almost there to start the shots.  They are a pain but they give us a feeling of getting closer and closer to our baby.  Good luck with the Lupron headaches, thats pretty much all, cause the shots are not as bad as the other ones.  Will stay praying for you and sending lots of baby dusts your way.  Stay in contact.
Helpful - 0

sisi- As always thanks for your kind words!

Baseline bloods tomorrow and then I will hopefully start Lupron Friday for 14 days then I am scheduled to start Follistim on 11/4.

How many days did you guys usually stim for? Is 8 to 10 a reasonable guess? How big are the follies supposed to be before trigger shot?

I'm going to list my protocol. Let me know if it sounds similar to yours... (it may be a little off b/c this is mt first go around):

No BCPs
Lupron 14 days
Start Follistim and low dose hcg (8 - 10 days?)
Trigger
Start progesterone oil shots
Egg Retrieval (antibiotics)
?
Transfer
Progesterone oil, prog. inserts (endometrium something is the name), pregnisone, 81 mg. aspirin

I think estrace is in the mix too.

Am I missing anything major?

Thanks ladies as this is all SOOOO confusing to me.

AMAZING LUCK TO ALL. I HOPE WE ALL GET HOLIDAY MIRACLES!!!!
Helpful - 0
Hello-

I can only hold out so long! I have been taking the lupron shots and they have gotten much easier. But I have had some possible unpleasant side effects - headaches and dryness. I am going to the RE tomorrow morning and I am excited to get this process started. I can't wait to bombard him with questions.

Mel4141 - SSBD! Sending positive thoughts your way.

Peppypeep - where did you find:

Co10q
royal jelly/bee pollen (2x per day)
wheatgrass organic powder mixed in water (2x per day)
melatonin

Can I buy these at a vitamin store? or did you specially order them online? Right now I am taking prenatal vitamins (over the counter) and folic acid with DHA.

Purple7374 - One of the topics I want to discuss with my RE is acupuncture. I have unexplained infertility, but there must be a problem or I'd get pg. I keep thinking it has to do with the implantation. Or I have hostile cervical mucus that is fighting my DH's sperm. We shall see. I'm back to thinking that I should get acupuncture during the egg transfer. How long have you been doing acupuncture? Did your RE recommend it? I'm curious as to what other RE's say.

sisi2399 - i can barely think of anything else. almost every night I look for more information. Until I get a BFP, I keep looking for how to improve my chances or just search for success stories. I am trying to restrict myself from checking too much. Work is busy. But if given the choice, I think about this. Even without the choice, I still think about IVF a lot.

Carla - good luck! I have no idea how long you will stim for. I asked my IVF coordinator the same question. She said that if I start stims on 10/22, then my ER would most likely be 11/2-11/4. That would be 12-14 days. She also said it might be a little later and it all depends on how I respond. I know there nothing can be planned exactly, but it would help to be able to tell work I will need a day off between X and Y.  Here is my protocol (I think):

10/4-10/16: BCP
10/11: start Lupron, 10 units
10/22: Start Follistim and menopur
(I think Lupron and stim meds will overlap)
10/31-11/2: Ovidrel Trigger  
11/2-11/4: Egg Retrieval (antibiotics)
start crinone
5 days after ER: Transfer

Helpful - 0
Hello Everyone,

I am 34 yrs old and going through my first IVF Lite treatment.  I did the embryo transfer on Oct 16th (3 embryos!).  Embryo #1 was 10 cells after day 3 of retrevial, embryo #2 was 8 cells, and embryo #3 was 6 - all looks very positive. I am scheduled for blood work on Oct 29th and I can't stand the anticipation!  I am very anxious and want to take a home pregnancy test but I am afraid...

The only symptoms I have had is lower cramping/sourness.  I completed my shots yesterday however I am still taking progesterone  pills (2x daily) and progesterone suppositories 3x a day.

Should I take a pregnancy home test?  today will make day 10 from date of retrevial.
Helpful - 0
I would hold off on the test, but then again I have never done an hpt and I am planning not to do any after my IVF until I go to the dr. If it's negative you will drive yourself crazy for the next week and it may be too early to tell if it is positive. But I'm an IVF rookie so that's just an opinion :)

What's IVF lite?

Good luck to you :) Keep us posted!!!!
Helpful - 0
Thanks Carla!  I am trying to be patient but it's very difficult.

IVF Lite is less agressive treatment than IVF.  Below is some info on it..

IVF LiteMore natural IVF…
In a regular IVF cycle, we use GnRH-agonists and antagonists (e.g. Lucrin or Orgalutran) to suppress the LH surge that triggers ovulation, but in fact, one in five women do not have premature LH surges and could forgo the suppression drugs. Unfortunately, we have no way of predicting who will or will not have the premature surge, and with so much invested in an IVF cycle, most clinics suppress all patients just to be safe.

However, they have found that some women who repeatedly fail to conceive with FSH/agonist/antagonist combinations may get pregnant quickly using a more "natural" cycle.

In a young woman this can mean a totally natural (no added hormones) cycle; in an older woman, a cycle helped by FSH injections but without any suppression. (In effect, we're stepping back to the late 1980s before the GnRH-agonists and antagonists were widely available.)

We've called this type of cycle IVF Lite.

Beating ovulation to the punch
IVF Lite requires very careful follicle tracking, starting several days before the anticipated day of ovulation. The aim is not to wait for the LH surge but to get in first. Once the ultrasound shows us that the leading follicle is 18mm in diameter or bigger, an injection of hCG (Pregnyl or Ovidrel) is given to trigger ovulation. A blood test is taken at the time of the injection and if that shows that serum estradiol has not yet fallen and serum LH has not yet started to rise significantly, we can reasonably assume that ovulation will occur 36 hours from the time of the injection. In practice, there is always a little doubt because serum LH fluctuates slightly all the time so, to be safe, egg collection is scheduled 34 hours after the trigger, rather than the 36-37 hours for normal IVF.

After the prilimary testing my Dr recommended IVF Lite.  

I will try to hold off another week but not sure if I will make it :)

I will keep everyone posted.

Good luck to all!

Helpful - 0

You are reading content posted in the Fertility and Trying to Conceive Community