Fertility and Trying to Conceive Community

Progestrone dropped during early pregnancy

I am 22 days pregnant (since ovulation) 5 wks 2 days and my progesterone level dropped. I have had 3 miscarriages in the past 7 months. I have never had problems in the past I have had 5 successful pregnancy. Last pregnancy we found out that my progesterone was 8 at 5 wks and a few days and I was started on progestrone, but HCG levels dropped and I miscarried. This time I tested at 10 days post conception and HCG was 3 and progesterone was 18. One week later HCG was 215 and prog 33.6 one week after that my HCG was 6958 and progesterone was 20. It dropped 13 points and I was started on progesterone suppository. I thought my HCG levels were really high more than doubled in 48 hours. What does this mean? Should I continue with progesterone even though 20 is a good number given that it dropped? Does the risk out weigh the benefits? Has anyone ever had this happen and end with a healthy baby?

Thank you for any help!
Hi, This is my first time here. I have been wondering the same thing about decreasing progesterone levels.  I have been searching many websites and found a couple with positive stories but mostly ones of m/c.  I am 6w4d, this is my second pg, the last ended at 5w but I didn't m/c til 8w.  This time I called the doc right away.  They ran blood test and at 5w3d my progesterone was 9.93. They started my on 100mg of progeserone suppositories.  Went in for u/s at 6w because of spotting and cramping.  Saw embryo, but heartbeat was slow.  They didn't tell me how slow.  But said with the combination of the heartrate and progesterone didn't look good. My last blood test was at 6w2d progesterone dropped to 8.71.  The waiting is the hardest part.  I am trying to stay positive, but am getting very depressed.

Your levels seem to still be high, they say around 15 is still good.  I have read about women with higher levels to begin with dropping but then coming back up again. So you have a good chance. I would stay on the progesterone.  Thinking positive thoughts.
Jr5 thank you for responding.  This would be my fourth m/c if it doesn't work out.  The first one was at 8 weeks too.  The next two were at 6 weeks.  My level after 5 wks and a couple of days was 8 with the last m/c.  I found out that 16-18 days after conception (makes about 5 wks) is when the progesterone level will drop if your going to have the problem.  I had never tested before 5 week mark before this time and now I know that after 5 weeks my level drops.  I started out so well at at 33.6 on the 11th day post conception and I was really hopeful, but it dropped anyway.  I know it is still high that is why I am on it, I have read some stories that are successful too.  Even one that carried a healthy baby girl with a level of 9 the entire time.  I am not feeling too good today- makes me a little scared.  Having 3 m/c has made me a little crazy! I had u/s yesterday and the saw the yoke sac, but it was too early for heart beat or fetal pole.  i am scheduled for another in 14 days.  

If you don't make it this time, the best thing you could do is as soon as you ovulate and possible conceive have your progesterone tested at 9 days past possible conception.  The HCG levels may not register, but the progesterone will let you know if something is up.  Then have it tested the next week and it should tell you if you are pregnant or not and if you need to start the progesterone.  I found the next blood test that it dropped (day 18 post conception).  If you learn anything new please share.  I hope all goes well for you.  I know it is hard being afraid all the time and the disappointment is aweful!
YES keep taking yhem even though they are so gross, I hated them. The placenta starts taking over progesterone at 10-12 weeks so to be safe I would not stop until 12 weeks with your history

God Bless and Congrats
Thanks for the encouragement.  I am trying to do what I am supposed to.  I just feel really mad that my body isn't doing what it is suppose to. In the past I took this for granted- boy am I getting a new understanding.  I have been on the progesterone for only three days and last night I had an extremely dry mouth and eyes.  I also had a terrible headache.  I am having a hard to time adjusting to the fact that the only way for me to keep a baby is to do this.  It seems so unnatural!  Even wrong.  It actually scares me.  What was your experience?
I hated progesterone, it made me gain weight feel bad and no apitite! But I did it every dat for 12 weeks, I guess I can say it worked, I'm 20 weeks now and everything is strong at this point and my baby boy is all over the place, I'll keep you guys in my thoughts and prayers