Fertility and Trying to Conceive Community

Spotting before period! Please help!

My period is supposed to come in a couple days, but 2 days ago I noticed light spotting when I wipe, not enough to catch on a liner. It's been getting a bit harder but remains a bright orange-red. I don't suffer with morning sickness or any of the symptoms of pregnancy, except last night I really nauseous but that was the only time, I have not took an pregnancy test yet. This is the first time I have ever spotted, I am sexually active with one partner but make sure we are always safe. I am not on birth control yet, and this is what scares me. What could it be? I am too anxious to wait to take a pregnancy test after the day of my period. As I search around the internet people who have my symptoms are on birth control. It would be great to get a response ASAP! Thank you for your time have a good day.
P.S I am not trying to get pregnant!
How old are you? There just could be a change in your cycle.