Fertility and Trying to Conceive Community

What is the main reason IVF does not work for people?

I will be doing our first IVF treatment starting this month.  Of couse, as you know, it will be a couple month process with my protocol.  We have been TTC since July of 2007.  It is secondary infertility on my part, however, my husband has never had children.  I have three children from a previous marriage.  All were normal, easy pregnancies.  I also didn't even have to try to get pregnant with them, as they were all "surprises."  My husband and I were married in June of 2007 and have been trying ever since.  We have done two IUI's with Clomid and we have done one round of injectables with IUI.  I have had an HSG and a Lap, both normal.  I have had my prolactin, thyroid ( I think that was the same test?) FSH and progesterone checked.  All normal.  My husband has had two seman analysis which were "normal".  On one occasion, when I was getting our second IUI, my husband was asked by my RE's nurse if he had had a SA done, and we had to remind her that he had in fact had one.  She said they looked sluggish that day, so that has always haunted me.  We have not miscarried, I have completly normal perfect 28 day cycles, I temped for a very long time which revealed nothing.....

We are at the point where we think the reason we are not getting pregnant, and our RE agrees, is his sperm is not penetrating my egg.  No conception is taking place, no fertilization is taking place.  So, I guess what I need to know is, what is the main reason why IVF does NOT work for some patients?  I have been reading and the main reason I see is egg quality.  We are not going to know my egg quality until I go in for my retrieval.  I responded well to Follistim, and for the IVF I will be doing Follistim and Menopur, so if egg quality is my issue, I am hoping that will help.  My youngest child turned 7 this past July....so it hasn't been that long that I conceived her.  I am 33 years old.  (turning 34 in March)  I am 5'2, 115 pounds, in great health, I work out.....

I guess I am just asking, what reasons are most common for IVF not working?

Thanks so much for your help and insight....I'm just nervous....

Even if you have no issues at all, ivf does not have a 100% success rate.  Researchers know a lot about fertilization but it is not well understood why implantation does not always take place even with perfect looking embryos.  I guess bad luck is the major reason for ivf failure.
Good luck to you!  I hope ivf works for you.
hi my  1st ivf failed because i had prementstrual cramps and irregular spotting, i had 5 fertilized embies planted and not 1 of them came thru...doc questioned my period, which up till now, i didnt get as yet, i had 16 days of bed rest and still had a negative test...

ur are lucky that u have 3 kids, i m still trying to have one... take care and good luk
Thank you for your comment...

However, I don't appreciate the "I have three kids, and I am still trying to have one..."

There are people on this forum that are dealing with secondary infertility, and if I could give you one peice of advice....NEVER say that to ANYONE dealing with infertility.  Infertility is just that...INFERTILITY.  No matter if you have kids or not.  As my original post said, I was married in June of 2007 and DH has no children of his own, so, your comment is not appreciated.

HELEN72-

I hope you are doing well, I haven't been on the forum for about a year, but remember you from before.  Thanks for your response.  I know IVF doesn't have a 100% success rate, or else it would work for everyone...I was just curious as to reason's people may have had been told as to why their's did not work.

Thanks for your help!

Are they going to do ICSI? They thought I had an issue and did half ICSI and half regular. There was an equal fertilization amount for me. I have a 1year old boy now. So good luck
yes!  they are doing ICSI, thinking perhaps DH's sperm isn't penetrating my egg....I asked him if he would do both just to rule it out, he said no....he just wants to get me pregnant. lol

I went for my IVF consultation yesterday.  OMG!  That Progesterone in oil needle is HUGE!  How the heck am I going to do that?????
You will get used to those progesterone shots.  They are not too bad  :)

After your fertilization report you will learn a lot about your egg quality and dh's sperm.  I hope you will get some answers.

I just had my first progesterone shots today & yesterday & I didn't think they felt any different then the smaller ones.  I had my retrieval yesterday this will be my first IVF, first child if it takes.  Good Luck to you.
I already did 3 IVF's with no success. I am 34 and have no kids yet.

I also have endometriosis. But the doctor said my fallopian tubes are normal and my uterus lining is normal. This is very frustrating.

The doctor also told me that my endometriosis might go away if I get pregnant. So I really, really NEED to have a baby!!!!!
Sorry, I misread. I had 3 IUI's, not IVF's.

My brain isn't working today.
I had 3 failed IVF and what the doctor is saying now is that maybe my eggs are OLD... I KNOW THAT!!!! I'm 41 and therefore they may have chromosomal problems or something. I may try with an egg donor but I feel HORRIBLE!!!!!
I swear to God.. I was aging with pride because i look young but now I feel SO OLD and worthless... Thank you Doctor. I remarried and my hubby wants a baby ASAP and I only pray for that to happen because the situation is very sad and frustrating and horrible for my self esteem as we all know.

Praying for all of you my ladies:)
BTW, The third IVF was a miscarriage.... it just happened over Thanksgiving... by wednesday I was pregnent and my Sunday night I lost the baby :( ..... at least I got pregnant this time even though it did not implant... my first two IVF were negative when it came to my beta.
Hollandlop- I did hear that endo goes away when pregnant....I know that it is caused by your period...I feel for anyone that has Endo. I do not,  but I have several friends that do.  One of my friends went straight to IVF because she had stage IV endo, and she got pregnant using frozen embies on her second IVF.  Her first one she lost twins, and the second one, when putting two in, one took.  He is a happy healthy 5 month old!

Mariana, you crack me up!  Yeah, your doctor didn't really tell you anything you didnt already know, did he?!!  Let's just get you preggers with IVF and you can age gracefully...no one can see your eggs.  I'm starting to think, at my age, (34 in march) that my eggs COULD be doing the same thing.  My fert. report was 7 retrieved/3 fert./1 disgarded/waiting on 3 to HOPEFULLY fertilize!  So, maybe my eggs aren't as great as they thought.  FSH came back fine and I stimulated ok.  So I think they are just "ok".  Nothing to write home to mom about!

Helen- I am getting use to those shots.  I give them to myself, but my husband has to help me push it in.  After everything we have been through, the PIO just becomes one more thing.  I got everything out the other night and twisted around to do it and my DH was like "OH!!  YOU'RE DOING IT NOW?"  He was all concerned.  I said, "Yep, I want this day over..."  (day of retrieval)  It was funny.  Only thing, I can't do myself on my left hip.  So, needless to say, he is going to have to stick me with that one....I have a weird way of doing it, I put the needle in slow.  It doesnt hurt, and the whole jabbing it in is scary for me.  So, this is how I do it, and I am barely ever sore.

Good luck to everyone!
Hi there.  I just had my third failed IVF cycle.  I had an ectopic pregnancy in May 2007 and it turns out both tubes had to be removed.  I am 29 years old and the doctors say everything (other than having no tubes) is textbook perfect, great eggs, embryos, uterus, ovaries, sperm is good.  They have done icsi all three times.  This last time they transfered three embryos with assisted hatching.  You will love this.  THEY HAVE NO IDEA WHY I AM NOT GETTING PREGNANT.  They don't even have an idea.  Sorry I don't have a better answer for you but that is what I was told.  I hope everything works out for you and you are so brave for giving yourself those progesterone shots!!!!