Fibromyalgia Community

Bad Fibro Pain!!!!

I was wondering if anyone could give me any ideas on what might help my pain. I have been diagnosed with Fibromyalgia a while back and almost everyday I have really bad aching pain on the inside areas of both ankles, left side on right ankle and right side on left. I have also been experiencing pain that comes and goes in my shins, knees and at times my back and hips. I have sprained both ankles twice playing sports. My right ankle hurts the most and it has been the ankle that I have sprained the worse.

I don't know if it has any thing to do with the pain, but my bones have been cracking really loud pretty much every time I bend or move into a different position. With that, I sometimes get sharp stabbing pain shoots through the area that cracked. I'm only 17 yrs old almost 18 on April 22nd, and I was wondering if I should be concerned about this. I believe that it is my ankles that crack the worse. Please if anyone knows anything that might be able to help me, don't hesitate to respond.

I have tried many different pain medications for Fibro, but none of them seemed to provide relief. I'm currently taking Vitamin D. Thank You so much! Any Info is greatly appreciated! :)
This is not an answer to your question but was wondering if you have been checked for lyme disease.
Thank You for your response. :)

Yes, I have been checked for Lyme Disease about a year ago. My doctor said that the test came back negative for Lyme. ;)
I do have problems with my vision and stuff like is posted in the Lyme Disease Community though.
Those with FMS can also have vision problems.  I'm not sure what could be causing your bones to pop.  Bring that up to your physician at your next visit so he/she will check it out to make sure there isn't other probs. with your joints.  

When I was first dx'd it was because of my ankles hurting.  After several months it finally ceased.  There are a number of different medications used for treating pain.  Some people report good effects, while others stopped due to side-effects.  I wish we had a simple answer for the pain, but it just doesn't seem to be easy.  What are some of the things you have already tried?  I can understand your frustration...I also have daily pain and it is difficult to do the things I enjoy.

Thank you so much for your response, it is greatly appreciated! :) I'm very sorry to hear that you have been having pain that makes it difficult to do the things you enjoy. :( I hope you feel better soon. :)

Some of the medications that I have tried are Vitamin D, and Gabapentin. I'm sure that there are others, but I can't remember all of them right now. I had to stop the Gabapentin due to side effects, but I am still taking the Vitamin D. My Fibro doctor told me to exercise more, but that didn't seem to help. If anything, it made the pain in my legs worse.

Thanks again for your response, it is greatly appreciated! :)

Take Care and Best Wishes,

"Please_Help950"
Yes, many find that exercise makes their symptoms worse.  This is why we must do low-impact forms.   When I was going to rehab. I always felt more pain and had swelling...this made it impossible to do anything at the following appointment.  It's important that we know how much our body can take and to pace ourselves.

Some of the medications used for FMS are the Neurontin (which you already tried), Lyrica and Cymbalta.  For pain some use Ultram (Tramadol) or the Lidoderm patches.  These medications only treat the symptoms and do have side-effects, so you would need to weigh the risks vs. the benefits involved.  You could also try a natural creme called Sombra or CatsClaw.  I've found that both work well for muscle aches.

Accupuncture has been reported to have good results, water aerobics or chiropractors help some.  Treating FMS is a multi approach...there isn't any one thing that works.

It has been strongly felt that FMS involves chronic bacterial/viral infections.  There are alternative treatment protocols in our Health Pages that some Members are actively taking to treat these infections.  You could check them out and even print them to take to your doctor.  Of course, if you feel that your doctor isn't paying attention or is putting you off, you need to find someone else who will work with you.

Thank you for your kind thoughts.  I hope that you can find someone to help you feel better soon.

Take care of yourself and stay safe.
Thank you again for your response, it is greatly appreciated! :)

My doctor never told me that I had to do a specific type of exercise or I could feel increased pain. :( May I ask what kind of exercises would be considered "low-impact"? I would love to be able to do these exercises without the increased pain that I have experienced just doing regular exercises. :) Thank you for the list of medications, I'll try discussing them with my Rheumatologist at my next appointment.

Is Acupuncture painful? I mean, I have heard of it but I don't know nothing about it. What kind of Chronic/viral infections does FMS involve?

You're are very welcome! :) Thank You so much for your time and Consideration, it is greatly appreciated! :)

Take Care and Best Wishes,

"Please_Help950"
You're welcome.  

Low-impact would be any type of exercise that isn't strenuous on your body.  They have low-impact aerobic classes and videos that can be purchased, yoga, also water aerobics is a great way (esp. when the pool is heated).  It depends upon what you can physically tolerate.

I have had accupuncture one time and did not find it painful whatsoever.  Check out our Health Pages for information about FMS and chronic infections (Findings by Dr. Garth Nicolson).  There are many that could be making an impact to our health; there are some alternative treatments that one can do to help in the information too.  Some of the protocols will involve working with your physician for certain medications.

Take care of yourself and have a great day.
Thank you again for the helpful information, it is greatly appreciated! :) Have a wonderful Afternoon! :)

Take Care and Best Wishes,

"Please_Help950"
I so sorry for what you are going through. I have fibro and OA. I take lyrica, 225mg, but only eases pain a little and makes you very sleepy. Hot water helps as in bath soaks or hot showers, The only exercise I find that helps is stretching. I have a long rubber strip my 1st pt gave me. It helps with pain without causing additional pain. Hook on doorknob, shut door with you on other side ,pull band with each hand back til your elbows are even with ribs & hold,. Repeat 15 times.. also lay on floor or bed put foot in middle of strap, raise and lower legs very slowly. repeat 15 times. any stretch exercise like that. wishing you the best and as less pain as possible.
Monkey1mill
I am taking lyrica now for 4 weeks -- helps with sleep which in turn lessens the pain, does not take pain away completely
Thank you both for the helpful information, it is greatly appreciated!!! :)

Smoking substitute may not provide such a healthy swap, after all.