Fibromyalgia Community

Fibro and CFS -- Giving a Diagnosis

I'd like to know what different symptoms or indicators doctors relied on to diagnose their patients with either Fibro or CFS.  ex. Just fatigue and muscle pain?

One of my doctors said it could be CFS, merely based on my fatigue.  That seems very vague.

Thank you.
I was recently diagnosed and my doc was immediately convinced that what I had was fibro and fully acknowledged that my symptoms tended toward fatigue moreso than pain and referred me for a sleep study. I also have RLS, PMDD, ADHD, etc. The while kit n caboodle of acronyms. Anyhow my point is- find a new doctor. Preferably a rheumatologist that specializes in or is at the very least, familiar with fibromyalgia. It's such an individual and complex condition that a doctor who isn't sensitive to your unique symptoms and lifestyle, or who isn't helpful, informative, and attentive just isn't worth seeing again. I have a fantastic doctor and have known others who've had much worse experiences and these have convinced me that while it may be a pain in the rear, it's well worth it in the end to find a good doctor. I hope this helps and good luck!
Oh and for my diagnosis they used a battery of objective and subjective factors- vitamin deficiencies, sleep patterns, medical history of various associated disorders (like frequent UTIs from childhood, bowel problems, sinus infections, PMS, and bouts of insomnia, fatigue and prolonged mild but interfering illness) as well as the "pressure point" exam and a long conversation on what my recent experiences have been and why I was seeking medical help. It was probably the most thorough any doctor has ever been with me and definitely the first time I truly felt like I wasn't a crazy person or making it up. Again, I wish you luck.
What particular vitamin deficiencies tend to be associated with CFS and Fibro?
I have vitamin b12 and vitamin D deficiencies that are all I know of right now but who knows what else
there actually is no lab test for CFS. The diagnosis is based on the history and excluding other illnesses that could be responsible for the symptoms. I pulled this from the medicinenet website
1.Have severe chronic fatigue of six months or longer duration with other known medical conditions excluded by clinical diagnosis, and
2.Concurrently have four or more of the following symptoms:
◦substantial impairment in short-term memory or concentration,
◦sore throat,
◦tender lymph nodes,
◦muscle pain,
◦multi-joint pain without swelling or redness,
◦headaches of a new type, pattern or severity,
◦unrefreshing sleep, and
◦post-exertional malaise lasting more than 24 hours.

I think the post exertion malaise is what makes it so different from other diseases. People end up in bed for days or weeks after exercise in significant pain
Mycoplasma are often found in patients who suffer from CFS and Fibro. It's a good idea to test  for it as antibiotics help significantly improve symptoms
Smoking substitute may not provide such a healthy swap, after all.