How do u ask for a stronger pain med (w/out sounding like a pill seeker)?
Hi everyone! My question is how do I ask for something stronger without sounding like a "pill seeker" or drug abuser? My Lortab 10mg is like regualr tylenol to my pain. They already have me on Cymbalta, Lyrica, Lortab10mg, Soma, Xanax and Ambien BUT I AM IN SUCH PAIN! It is unreal!

I know it's not a good idea to double up or whatever but I have in desparation- it does not help! My legs give me the worst trouble. I take magnesium, calcium and a few other natural things. I do swim exercise religiosly now BUT the pain is beyond any pain I've ever been through including natural childbirth!!!

How do I ask a doctor to put me on something like Percocet or Oxycodone? Or just anything that will be wotrth taking?? This Lortab is USELESS!! But I've been told if you ask for something specific they think you are just there to get pills for the wrong reason. HAS ANYONE ASKED THEIR DOCTOR FOR SOMETHING STRONGER, AND HOW DID YOU GO ABOUT IT????

By the way thanks in advance for any ideas, thoughts, suggestions or sharing.
Jennifer
You spoke my words...word for word.
I'm so glad I found this web site.  I felt like....all and most of the Dr.s I've seen,  are more worried about me being a so called  "Pill Seeker" than really listening to how much pain I was really in.  My life,  I felt was over,  until I let up on myself for feeling so frickin guilty for asking for medication...more meds,  or a higher dose.  I need help Doctor's....I'm hurting so bad I can not function a life worth living.

Thanks for everyone's comments.  It's taken a big TRIP on me,  for something I don't deserve.
Have any of you tried the power  of prayer?  I am 72 years old and I dont use any of those mind altering meds  My God is good and he keeps me going
Look up low dose naltrexone, also try tumeric supplements, whole foods diet .
I have gone through it too. They put me on Gababpentin and it takes the pain edge off in the muscles.
Just tell the dr. How u feel. I have a great pain dr. I changed scripts 3x in two months. Lortab does nothing. Gonna call him again this week. I want my percocet back. Did not realize how bad papain was till I went off.   Perco a wEek ago.we have a great relationship. He has all my records so he knows I'm not lying. He gave me lortab last week anand didn't ask for my half of bottle of percos back. That's strange. Just be open with him. He will help yopu. Feel better
So for the rest of us, our God is not good?  Is that what you say to anyone around you who is truly suffering?  How NOT Christian of you.  Pain pills are "mind altering"?  Great that you haven't had a bad illness so far in your life. At 72, you may have a big wake up call before too long.
Im sorry, but I completely disagree with the previous answer ! Ive been dealing with debilitating pain for 17 yrs and have been on almost everything you can imagine! If you feel like you can't approach your Dr without him questioning your motives than get a diff Dr.! it may take several before you find one willing to work with you and try you on diff combinations but they ARE out there! Thats not to say that people ie. nurses, staff, pharm personel wont treat you as if you're an addict, but those of us truly suffering are paying the price of the abusers! if you haven't already, find a pain support group. It helps to have that poss support.
Hope this helps someone struggling with the same things! God bless
I don't know what was posted by Idesofmarch as I have looked back over 2 years ago to see the posting.  I think that Medhelp must have deleted the posting!  Whatever was posted must be what some others also think and we all need help with arguing against it.  I too have suffered from severe pain.  
Oh, I finally found the posting from Idesofmarch dated July 12, 2008--over 4 years ago!
How do you make the doctor understand your pain?  My husband has to help me out of bed. He even has to help dress me from the waist up!  Things like that that people take for granted!  The pain is so bad its hard to even want to live! I have fibromyalgia/ruptured disc/arthritis/seizures/depression! We need help!  Someone who will listen & try to help instead of judging us or just giving up on us!  Sometimes the pain is so severe, life is not worth living !

Just need a friend to lead on for advise!
What has your doctor offered to you for your pain and depression so far?  If you can include that information, I can help you more.  

If your medication isn't helping, the doctor should prescribe something else and give you other advice to help with your pain.  Some anti-depressants, such as the SNRIs also help with pain relief.  

If your doctor isn't helping you, get another doctor.  There is a way for you to feel better.  Take care..
Quickly, just want to answer your ?...Yes, have had that roving etc pain when not an any med's...none before or during, just months later.
I stopped reading every post--there were too many--put I had to add my two cents--especially because I got so frustrated with a discussion at church on sunday about addiction to RX pain meds---and I was the only one speaking from experience and research---I got up and walked out---and didn't even return to do my job of playing the piano for the meeting.

First, I honestly believe that the symptoms of fibromyalgia are REAL--I am miserable almost every day for at least part of the day and some days I never get complete relief---and then there is always the odd day that I do exceptional;y well-----there is no rhymn (SP?) or reason to chronic pain.

Second--I believe that even though so many of us experience similar symptoms---I don't think we are all suffering from the same cause of the symptoms. I kind of think that fibromyalgia is a symptom of something else that is going on---it is just so dang hard to figure out what it is---so the best we can do is try to make ourselves functional in whatever way we can.

I have read an article that talked about how pain originally served the purpose of alerting us to the fact that something was wrong---but, in some people, the alert system has gone haywire and pain has actually BECOME the disease.

I get so sick of the misunderstanding there is about dependency, addiction, abuse, tolerance and psuedo-addiction.  I just learned the name of that last one--but my obgyn told me years ago that a good way to get a person addicted is to UNDER treat their pain--the reasoning behind this is that these people in pain will use drug seeking  behaviors to get enough medication to relieve their symptoms so that they can function--not to get a "high".  This is one good measure of whether or not a person is an addict.  Addicts will take a medication regardless of the consequences to their lives or the people lives that they are involved with--they will lose jobs and marriages because taking the drug is more important than anything.  

Another person may take the same medication to improve their life and their ability to function----their quality of life is better on the medication and it allows them to function.  They may still be dependent on it and would go into withdrawals if it was suddenly taken away---but they are not addicted---they are dependent.

Everyone who uses certain medications will become dependent--this is just the nature of the beast.  I take hydrocortisone for adrenal insufficiency--I am dependent on it, but it does not mean I am addicted---however, if I dropped it suddenly, I could go into adrenal shock and die---very quickly.  If I were to get into an accident and was unconscious, I would need an injection of hydrocortisone to keep me from going into shock.  i am very dependent on this medication, I would go into withdrawals if I dropped it suddenly, but i am not addicted to it.

I take norco, soma, clonazepam, NP thyroid , hydrocortisone, baclofen, meloxicam, vyvanse on occasion (been trying to drop that one) I also take a number of supplements based on blood tests that showed I was actually deficient in certain vitamins and minerals.  I also take benadryl to help me sleep.  One thing I hate taking, but it really makes a difference in how well my norco works, is 1/2 of a caffiene pill.  I tried to drop the caffienne, but the pain meds did not work as well.

I am only allowed a certain number of norco and soma a day and the amount I am given must last me a month---i can not even fill it the evening before the refill date---even if I have used them all and not overused them and need a pill to take first thing in the morning---I often wake up in a tremendous amount of pain and can't really function well until the meds kick in.  sometimes i am able to take less than the amount of medication I am allowed---I put them aside to save for a day that i might need a little extra.  I once had a day that when I had taken all the medication I was allowed by 2:30 in the afternoon---and I was in severe pain.  I finally had to go in to my doctor and get a shot of tordol.  I have had to do this several times--but not alot of times.

I am now at a point where my meds really are not giving me enough relief more often than not---though I still have the occasional day that I have 1/2 to 1 norco or soma left to put away for the really bad days.

One thing that was causing me a lot of bone pain was being low in vitamin D.  i had been tested, and was within the "lab normals"  so no one thought anything of it.  When I told my doctor that my bones hurt---he said "that's just you."---they are used to me being in pain.  My level was 33, the bottom of the range was 30 and I felt like I had shin splints if you pushed on my shin bone.  I flew across the US to see a doctor who does not use lab ranges, he uses ranges for optimal health.  My bone pain has decreased dramatically after taking 10,000 IU of Vit D---but I still have a way to go to get up to an optimal range.

As for my medical conditions, if you are curious---I have chronic headaches, osteoarthritis in my hands and feet, I had orthoscopic surgery for it in one of my knees just before I turned 40--but I had been having arthritis symptoms for years.  I get tendonitis, i have had carpal tunnel surgery in both wrists, I am hypothyroid and have secondary adrenal insufficiency--something going on with my pituitary which I belief is what occasionally makes my bladder flush as if someone had opened the gates of a damn.  My bladder is extremely sensitive to acidic foods most of the time.  I have had osteomyelitis, bilateral shingles--both of these as a very young child.  I had MRSA several years ago and another type of staph infection that turned to cellulitis about 4 1/2 months ago--I went through IV antibiotics--which I was allergic to, and wound care for a few weeks after that while on some pretty heavy duty antibiotics.  I also have a hiatal hernia and severe reflux.  i have trouble with swallowing my food at times and have had to have my esophagus dilated 3 different time.  biopsies have shown eosinophils---I will be checked for eosinophilic esophagitis.  i just did a little some research on this condition recently and discovered it can cause lower limb pain and back and chest pain.
I also have battled depression, anxiety and mild OCD since I was a child.

The last local doctor I went to wanted me to go to the mayo clinic----like anyone can afford that!!  This is when I flew back east to a doctor who ran tests I have never even heard of and discovered the deficiencies I have.

I do not expect to get completely well---but I still hold out some hope that maybe I will find something to make things BETTER----and if it turns out that the only thing that makes things better is a strong medication---then I'm all for it because I have to function, dependencies and all.

I don't know about the rest of you, but I find it is a balancing act to take the right amount of medication.  too little and I am miserable, too much and i just kind of feel yucky and I can't sleep.  Sometimes i get the shakes--not sure what is causing this--it is just an ongoing battle to try and feel well---and i HATE it when people freak out or hassle me about my medications---i'm doing the best I can.

I'm impressed if you got to the end of this!!

stopping a narcotic doesn't kill you.  stopping a benzo does.
I'm in a severe flareup right now and just googled "how long do fibromyalgia flareups last.  I did read the entire post!  I understand how you feel about pain meds.  My big issue this morning is that I can't think!  I'm trying to deal with some mutual funds I have and find it so confusing I've just given up.  My legs and hips hurt.  They feel tight and achy.  
Regarding the last post, I did get of of valium and yes.....it does indeed "kill".  It took me 6 months.  It was the worst thing I've ever been through.

Have you tried tramadol?  This seems to work on a different principle than most pain meds.  It increases the serotonin levels, which many of us don't have enough of.  

I'm stumbling through this note because I can't think!  

I know you're doing the best you can and I feel for you.

I truly wish I did not understand the comment about God, I am there now.
I have been having a hard time finding a doctor who can help me with my pain, I had two surgery's this year from broken bones, one required two screws in my right thumb and a broken elbow. 5 months after, and once i was almost 100% again I blew out my left arm. broken in 4 places with a compound fracture, this included a longer that expected surgery that required the surgeon to put in 3 plates and 16 screws. I broke 11 bones in a 6 month period, requiring immediate surgery. And now im in terrible pain but i cannot get across to any doctors, let alone the fact that part of my severe arm never healed correctly. I don't know what to do, I have friends who are telling me to go to a clinic and see if their process of medication and therapy would help. but i am just confused. I just want to be able to move on with my life and find someone who will actually help instead of shew me away. and on top of all that mess, on the way back from an appt. a week after my surgery a car pulled in front of my drivers car and we t-boned them causing a serious whiplash because i was reclined in the seat with pillows raising my arm. i just moved to a new area and when i went to the doc he basically looked at me like stop complaining even though he checked out my neck and their was damage that had occurred. Does anyone have any suggestions? i just want relief, I work as a painter, and am taking classes at a community college. my previous doc made me feel like a pill seeker and I am far from it, I just wanna wake up in the morning and be able to go through my day comfortably, especially the days i work.
I been on oxycodone and its seem to make my pain worse and my tollerance was buliding up and then you have to face addiction.. And coming off tbe oxycodone was the hardest thing I have faced physically. Its a tough decision, but comong from experience you may want to not go down that road, jmo :)
every one that says you dont know what real "pain" is just remeber everyone has a different pain thershold i feel bad for all that are in worse pain than most but i mean come on doesnt everyone deserve to live a life where they are not restricted to some activties due to the amount of pain that is in there body regardless of where or to the extent im just sayin plus if people are asking for advice and all you can do is say how much worse you have it that just sounds like a search for pity to me we dont get to pick the hand we are dealt but have to play the cards to the best of our hand if you have no good advice or just want to badger an individual well you know that little arrow at the top of your screen you should hit that the next time you have a thought
I would just tell your dr your meds are not managing your pain. Sorry Ides is being judgmental to you. You should support each other not judge each other.  
I hate it when people treat you like an addict when you are in so much pain!!! I also have fibro for 17 yrs and chronic migraines for 33 yrs I have done and taken everything dr.s have asked! The key is finding a good dr that understands! And thats not easy! Talk to your dr honestly I found one that listens and he gives me perk 7.5/325 I couldn't function without- still can't some days. Just ask the worst thing that can happen is he says no. God bless you!!!'
I have been looking for the way to say how I felt and BOOM, there you are saying it.....I am hand printing this in part to take to a new Pain Specialist.  Thank you so much...

Georgia Peach
Hi Jenn. I have fibro I was diagnosed 2 years ago, I have been in pain management for 3 years. I am on morphine 30 mg, but my doctor started me out at the lowest pain drug & kept moving up. After almost 2 yrs with being in pain at a scale of 10 he said your ready, You have to let your doctor know that the pain med isn't working & why keep taking something that is getting into your system & not working. He put me on oxycodone but I took one pill and had a bad experience so I returned then and said put me back on morphine. I am also on Savella 100 mg. This works GREAT for fibro along with alot of other meds. You have to watch how you ask because alot of doctors think people just want the high. Hope this helps. Good Luck!
I have been diagnosed but actually have Lyme's disease, which some doctors feel is actually the cause of fibromyalgia and chronic fatigue syndrome in many cases. Anyway, it takes me at least 60 mg. of oxy a day to get through the day and still be able to walk to the store. I am sick and tired of doctors telling me about the addiction factor and at the same time prescribe me crap like depakote which is one of the most toxic medicines on the market. My advice it to tell your doctor you want to go into a pain management clinic. There they will offer you a variety of meds and get you to the right dose. Just don't screw up though and do any street drugs or any other pain meds, because they do random pee tests and once you get kicked out, it's virtually impossible to get back in. I know this from experience. I was on 60 mg. of Methadone a day and a friend of mine came over and gave me one single line of coke. I hadn't done it in years. The very next day I went in and got my script, and got tested for the first time in six months and got kicked out. So now it's hell to get a doctor to get me anything.
Savella is not a narcotic or pain medication.  Also Trazodone which has helped me greatly with fibromyalgia is also not a pain med or narcotic.  Doctors are most likely to want to prescribe these.  But some people can't tolerate them.  I had such nausea from the Savella that I had to stop it.  Also you may need to start very low on the Trazodone and then work up in dose.  Also the single best remedy for fibro is exercise, but you must start out very slowly.
Antidepressants screw up your mind.  If you look them up, you'll find that the PDR even states that they don't know Exactly HOW they work.  So they load up your brain with chemicals they know nothing out.  They call that a GUINIA PIG, and then they WAIT for you to send in side effect complaints to the FDA.  I Like to stick to the OLD tried and true drugs that they know EXACTLY what they do.  Valium is a NERVE Pill, MS CONTIN is MORPHINE (as is oxycontin & to an extent oxycodone, a derivitive at least).  I don't take antidepressants, one doesn't EVER work, so they keep adding others to assist the ones they gave you til you're a mind boggling nut case.  Oh and by the way, it states on ALL those anti depressants that you cannot discontinue them abruptly either, you have to be WEENED off of them, so what is that?  The same as ADDICTION as far as I'm concerned.  But they will freely give those to you.  ASK your Dr., IF you can stop taking them when they don't work or you don't like what they're doing to you....He'll tell you the same thing, "Well No....We're Going to Have to Ween You Off of Them".....so I'll take the Morphine thank you.
Depression screws up the mind worse.  I've been on anti-depressants for years which has also helped my pain.  You are saying that valium and morphine are better than anti-depressants?  Have you ever looked up the side effects and addictive nature of those drugs?  I read your profile and you do have some significant pain issues.  I am sorry about your pain.

But many of us need anti-depressants to function or not commit suicide due to the terrible pain.  Did you know that depression causes the telomeres to get damaged so that people with depression suffer diseases associated with older ages much earlier such as osteoporosis, stroke, heart disease, and diabetes?  Don't trash a class of medications that have helped so many.  I would NOT be alive without taking them.  And I am happy in spite of being in chronic pain and being very disabled--because of the anti-depressant.  I would rather be happy than being severely depressed by my situation using your paranoid logic.
Thank you for your initial post and subsequent post. I sympathize with your predicament. I feel the same about asking for stronger pain meds when talking with a doctor. I feel so scared that they are going to call me a pill head or drug addict that I don't ask. Case in point, two days ago I meet with a orthopedic surgeon to review my recent MRI which shows my third herniation  at my L-5, scar tissue from previous surgery, and now disc degeneration to the point where fusion is now the recommended treatment along with a referral to pain management. So after a rather emotional visit about this operation. I tell this surgeon, who is part of the same clinic as my PCP, that I took my last Vicodin that morning. The surgeon tells me he does not like to prescribe Vicodin and he prescribed Tramadol 150 mg and Nabumetone 750mg x2 daily. I had never heard of Tramadol nor Nabutome so I didn't press the issue. I had been taking Vicodin 5mg q. 8 hours for three weeks at that point. It was prescribed Vicodin for the sciatic pain that I felt, but before the MRI procedure, which concluded the herniation and disc degeneration. I had taken the Vicodin as prescribed mostly, sometimes waiting four hours instead of the prescribed 8.
While I was taking the Vicodin, I was able to drive my family to California for vacation, surf and dance with my wife. I then took the Tramadol and it is awful. It makes me nauseous, dizzy, fatigued and unmotivated. I feel as though I'm in a tunnel and detached from the people. I can't track a conversation. I almost slipped in the shower because I lost my balance. My world shrank to the couch. Looking at the dishes in my sink overwhelmed me. And it only knock the the pain from a 10 at times to a 8. I read about this medication on-line and found it to be a synthetic opioid that also act as an SSRI. Well I told myself that's that. I won't take any meds, I rather be in pain. I did this because I didn't want to call the surgeon back and ask for Vicodin. Well that plan lasted until late the following morning when my sciatic nerve went OFF. I was cuddled in a ball on the floor crying. I thought about going to the ER it was so bad. Finally the spasm settled and I hobbled to the Tramadol and took some. I still wasn't going to call that surgeon back and ask. I wasn't going to call my PCP and explain everything. Fortunately, I have a pain management appointment on Tuesday (three days from now). I'm waiting to talk with someone about this pain. In the meantime, I have severe sciatic episodes just walking half a block. I went to a function today thinking I needed to do something to get out of the house. I had to lay on the sidewalk to get the spasm to stop. I want off this Tramadol! I don't care if they give me Vicodin or not but I wrote a list of my expectations for successful treatment and I will not stop pressing until I get relief and my active life back. I'm so angry at people who abuse these pills- and help to unfairly stigmatize people who really need them. I do understand that addiction is an illness, I want to be compassionate. But their illness and behaviors makes everyone else suspect, which in turn makes doctors less compassionate towards their patients- like they need another thing to get in the way of that.
The reason why the doctors seem less compassionate is because they are now under tremendous pressure from the DEA and politicians who don't understand that there are people like us who are in terrible pain and do need the pain meds.  These doctors are now at risk of losing their medical licenses.  You need to write to your Senators and Congressional Reps, and the DEA about your experiences.  These terrible experiences are all over another medical website that starts with drugs.  And yes, the reason for the government's totalitarian control of doctors is because of all the illegal selling of pain meds.  Wish you the best.
IM SS JENNIFER AN YES I TOTALLY AGREE WITH YOU NOBODY KNOWS JUST HOW BAD WE HURT AN ARE FAST TO JUDGE US I TOTALLY UNDERSTAND WHERE YOURE COMING FROM HUN AN I JUST SIMPLY TOLD MY DR THE HONEST TO GODS TRUTH LIKE U DID HERE AN THEY KNOW HOW MUCH PAIN WERE IN AN WILL UNDERSTAND MY DR DOES AN THEY DO THERE BEST TO TRY AN KEEP ME AS COMFORTABLE AS POSABLE SO JUST LOOK UR DR SRT IN THE EYES AN TELL THEM WHAT YOU GOING THREW AN THAT U HAVE A FIBRO BLOG AN 1 OF THE PEOPLE ON THERE TOLD U IF THAT WASNT WORKING TO ASK UR DR TO GIVE U WHATEVER IT IS U THINK WILL HELP I HOPE U FELING A LIL BETTER HUN GOD BLESS

Yes your right. The Docs think we are just looking for meds, and as far as exercise goes to help, I don't know about any one else but the next day the pain is worse. So I tell my Doc about something else to take and she say's their really is nothing else to take. They make you feel like a drug seeking liar. I wish I could find a Doc that has fibro, myofacial, and chronic pain disorder. That would be the one for us to go to. Find another Doc, look for a support group (that's what im looking for) and maybe you can find a better Doctor. Good luck Lee
what I did was to be completely honest with my doctor about how much pain I was actually in. After a very good discussion, my doctor decided to put me on morphine extended release, so that I only needed to take 2 pills in the morning and two pills at night. I would suggest this, but I do understand how hard it is for people with any pain issues to talk to their doctor without sounding like a pill popper
Thank you, Jennifer567.  You are RIGHT on the money.  I never realized what daily/constant pain really meant.  In fact, I couldn't imagine that it was even a possibility for a person.  I thought "surely, there's something out there in today's medicine that would keep pain away".  But now having experienced it first hand (8 hospitalizations in 5 months too) and they can't find out why am in constant abdominal cramping. I can't believe a person has to suffer like this.  I'm on Dylotted (hydromorphone) and experience pain morning, noon, night and in my sleep.  Even this strong medicine is not keeping my pain at bay.  I have just received copies of my last hospital stay and my own PCP!!!! wrote "narcotic dependency" in my chart (which has now bruised me for future medical treatments).  I am a well respected person and now I feel I'm being slandard!  Talk about adding insult to injury!  My own PCP?  And she didn't even have the guts to talk to me about it - just reduce the pain meds in the hospital every 6 hours till I had NOTHING left to help the pain.  Then they released me.

I'm in the process of getting my record amended.  Wish me luck.
Agree! I know this is a year old post but if we do nothing we will get no help I have wrote to senators, reps and plenty of others, newspapers etc. I'm tired of the patients in pain needing to suffer because of the addicts who abuse meds. Its not right!
I had to wait for a year until my pain was controlled, my PCP had me on the lowest dose of Vicodin 5/325  I had no idea that was a low dose of pain med. Finally after a year the PCP sent me to pain mgmt. why this was not done in the 1st place is beyond me, a year in pain all because of the DEA being involved in our health care.

I had to go to a pain specialist, Tell your doctors to send you to a pain mgmt.specialist or a pain mgmt. clinic for help, the Drs..and PCP's  will not rx stronger pain meds because they are afraid of the DEA

I cannot believe the Doctors and the medical community are not fighting the DEA because they fear prescribing a pain med with the DEA watching every thing they do.

I don't know why health insurance providers are not fighting this also, they are paying out more for pain mgmt. providers and medicare is paying out a lot more as well as Govt. health assistance.

I hope all of you receive the care you deserve.
I have to agree with droop. The little things make a difference, even certain things that get your blood pumping. Whether its a chair in the right place or the bowls and plates are stored lower. anything that will make your day easier and keep you from falling. Sex works good too, get yourself a vibrator i see ads on tv all the time, or have your husband help more. You got to be resourceful. As far as your doc goes, you need to explain to him your pain level has increased to the point you cant live like this and remind him that your relationship with him is based on trust, so your trusting in him to help you feel better, while hes trusting your insurance is up to date.
I take oxy's and they work for fibro ..I have chronic pain and I take 10 mg sometimes 6 times a day depending how much pain I am in ..I have tried all other meds such as Lyric which I found worse than the oxy's I could not even drive on them ..
Hi Ghilly I suffer from fibromyalgia along with other pain issues and my primary care has been prescribing me percocet 15mg every 6 hours since 2004. Now all of a sudden she wants me off them. She says it's not the right medicine for fibromyalgia but for me it takes aways 80% of the pain and i don't know what i am going to do without them. Do you have any suggestions on how to talk to my dr about keeping me on them? Please email me at ***@****. Thanks so much
Hey I'm new here but listen this has helped me SOO MUCH it's called kratom and it's legal and very strong.. it's short-lived so it's gotta be taken about 4 times a day but it works and is totally safe to mix with any pain medicine... It's also relatively inexpensive... There's tons of information online about it but if a doctor is gun a screw you by taking you off of what works this is definitely something to look into . I take about 5 grams 3 or 4 times a day .. anyway I've done my research and there's many vendors to choose from I'd only go thru coastal kratom it's a very reputable vendor with consistent quality product feel free to message me with any questions .. it's only 10$ for about 30 grams of tea definitely worth a shot I don't think you'd be disappointed
Sept. 1, 2015.  I have just come back from a doctor who told me that the two types of pain I have might all be in my head--very real to me, but psychsomatic!  
I told her my pain (lower and mid-back pain and fibromyalgic-like symptoms) are very REAL, that I NEVER see a doctor unless I can't stand it anymore, and that I HATE taking medications.  I need to regress to an emergency department visit July4 (my back, in particular, had suddenly become acute after being painful from the end of June, and my fibro symptoms were steadily moving up my arms and legs from the extremeties towards my core since mid-Feb; these two types of pain seem to be working in concert, each aggravating the other).  I was prescribed Cymbalta 30 mg, threw up for 3 days, and stopped (NO one is going to convince me to stick with it--if it causes that reactive a response, then it must be a poison, as far as I'm concerned-glad it works for many, but I'm not willing to throw up for 2-3 weeks if I can find another remedy.).  July 6, I visited my clinic, and was prescribed Lyrica 25 mg, which did nothing for back or neural pain, and which I stopped after 2 1/2 wk trying and saw my family doctor, July 22.  This was when MY OWN FAMILY DOCTOR told me that there might not be a name for my 'pains'.  I felt she had told me that she didn't believe me.  I left her office devastated, and realized that she had not given me something else to try.  Retrospectively, she prescribed amitriptyline 25 mg (has done nothing for either pain, and made me 'drugged' during the day, even when taking 1/2 dose). TODAY I saw a clinician again and was prescribed Effexor 37.5 increasing to 75 mg after a week for back pain.  [Interestingly, I had been on Effexor, the lower dose, for 20 years for mediating hot flashes associated with menopause, which worked very well, but which I voluntarily discontinued 19 months ago, as I am certainly now through menopause at age 65!]  I KNOW I tolerate Effexor well--BUT what I am trying to convey is that, here in Ontario, Canada, when I asked that there must be SOMETHING out there to try besides Cymbalta for specific back pain, she began this thing about my two types of pain might all be in my head!  itold her I was willing to persue any and all avenues to get relief, and AGAIN said that there must be SOMETHING out there that is non-narcotic that can help, at least, with the back pain. I had already told her that I had very little relief from taking 2x500mg acetominiphen every 4 hr [Tylenol] also with the maximum dosage of 6 muscle and back pain relief during the day [Robax Platinum=200 mg ibuprophen [Advil] + 500mg methocarbamol].  Hence the prescription for Effexor.  I don't know yet, obviously, if it will help.  But when the medical community accuses you that it might all be in your head because I don't 'present' like 95% of patients--that's just cruel.  I blatantly asked her, 'What if I'm the other 5%?', to which she gave no answer.  I have only ever had x-rays on my back, again because I don't 'present' abnormalities that 95% of the population would show.  So, AGAIN, what if I'm one of the 5%??  What do I have to do to get an MRI to see if there is something EVERYONE is missing????  As I have found, I'd have to LIE and say that the pain I have from the back is going down one side of my body (which it doing only slightly and only recentll) to get an MRI to check!!  Can't see a neurologist for 8 months!!  HOW DO WE GET THE MEDICAL PROFESSIONALS (this is now 5 different doctors-family doc, 2 emerg docs, 1 doc-associate, clinic doctor) to BELIEVE you??  And IF they believe you, why does it take 8 months to see a neurologist, who likely won't have any better answers?  There are no pain management centres near here. Now what????
dear Jennifer..not sure if you are still seeking answers..it was 2008 when you asked.  let me know if you are still having problems..i will try to help u with an answer.
I have been in pain for over2 years and just yesterday I was diagnosed with fybromalgia, I have been taking lortab for my pain for 2 years and now this doctor wants to take them away. How do I convince him I need them for my pain I can't function without them! Please help! Thank you in advance.
Im having problems my name is Patty and I have similar issues and need help an dadvice. And I'm not sure how or what to say to make sure that somebody can get back with me but let me just say thank you in advance for any buddies input it is very serious I do need help no one seems to do anything about it it doesn't matter and if you ask for something that you know that help before which I do know because I had brain surgery but this is another kind of pain and I need something like what they give you the hospital I don't know how to get them to do that this Tylenol stuff is a joke along with or like if you can't sleep cuz they're going to give you trazodone or anything that's an antidepressant not because you're depressed but because it was supposed to cause drowsiness a really doesn't keep me asleep because it's not a real sleeping pill or you know something for anxiety Tizanidine know that doesn't help it's a weird feeling and it's not it just kind of hangs over not like if you were taking Xanax or valium or something which is good or relaxes the muscles calls you down you don't have the hangover facts and it gradually just wears a pretty nice day and if you need it you can take it again you know one another for you know four or five hours or whatever if you have a panic attack or anxiety attack or whatever but I can't afford to go to these different doctors I don't have any insurance and I still have stuff from the brain surgery along with two car accidents in the last month-and-a-half that were not my fault but nobody wants to help you they just want to give you little stuff even the pain management doctor say oh well you know I don't want to give you some for pain cuz it'll make you sleepy first of all bull crap I've had brain surgery right now it makes me sleepy second of all if it does great cuz I never sleep I have insomnia so bad and now I haven't even more because of all the pain so I never sleep and that cause a date anxiety even worse that I normally just have aside from having the car wax so can someone help me I would greatly appreciate it I don't know how to get back to this site but I'll try thanks for anyone's help I'm in the Dallas area but I'll go wherever it takes I even saw thought it was someone Ohio hospital that if you walk in there they're tired of messing with people so you going to tell him what you want or what's going on or what you need to give it to you and you leave they don't waste your time no more they don't waste your time with people trying to get whatever you know there's bad people trying to get stuff for drugs as people that know what helps them because they're hurting so bad and they can't afford to go to the doctor so you just go in there that gives you and you're gone I think it was Ohio I don't know somebody shut it to me I was like what they said no more problems no more waiting Lines no crap they get to see real people that need real help they give people their regular medicine that they know it works warm and it's done anyway have a blessed day everyone
dear kathy...i just saw your post.  how frustrating it must be.  it is either your doctor or where you live to makes it so hard to get answers, etc. for you.  you are in Canada?  well, anyways...there are solutions...you just need to find the right doctor, and dont let ANYONE tell you the pain is in your head!  It took me 2 years to find out about this burning pain in my mouth and gums!  they want to tell you  (cant think of the word now)...but this turned out to be something called Burning Mouth Syndrome...very rare.  But i had to research for 2 years to find out about it...and I HAD an injury that had caused a tooth nerve root to be damaged...which is what caused it!  Neither the dentist nor doctor knew about the disorder.  anyways...let me know if you receive this post and i maybe can find something to help you out...i mean a solution or idea.  I have Nerve damage, which causes my problems...not just talking about the BMS.  It is Peripheral Neurology with damage to Autonomic nerves.  i have appt. for Neurology test, but it sure as hell did not take 8 months to get the appt.  less than a month wait.  and that is not soon enough for me, with my problems!
have to go to pain management dr
I have recently become completely frustrated by my fibro. I work as a CNA and get told to change jobs, not gonna happen. I recently saw a thing about Inflamactin? Anyone else try this? Does it help. The meds Dr's prescribe don't work at all. I just am done with that mess. My primary wants me to go to a pain management dr but I just have given up on it.
I think it comes down to how much your doctor likes you. I was in severe pain and my doctor told me he couldn't give me anything stronger than lortabs...I just had to have surgery. I had the surgery which lead to me nearly dying from an infection setting in. Had to learn how to walk again and spent 2 months in the hospital. I'm in more pain now but he upped me to percs. My boyfriend went today to the same doctor and told him the Lortabs weren't working and the doctor said no problem and put him on percs. Guess I don't ******** good enough.
You do have ti have a good relationship with your doc and trust on both sides. The antidepressant/antiepileptic meds did nothing for my pain. Actually, made it worse bc I was soooo tired (falling asleep at red lights with children in the car) that I gained a bunch if weight which was more pressure on my body. This also lead to depression bc I felt terrible about myself, worthless, a danger, and became angry. How is this safer than narcotics? I quickly adjusted to them and when timed so I'm not driving while it's at it's peak, I'm able t drive safely. I was prescribed both at same time along with NSAIDS and muscle relaxers for at night only (which all the a-depressants/a-epileptics made me just as drowsy). Anyhow, after a couple years of trying various i.e Amitriptyline, Cymbalta,Gabapentin, Lexapro,Effexor, Topirimate, and others I decided no more. I c an no longer take Nsaids so just the Narcotics and occasional muscle relaxer. I have been suggested that pain was in my head to a degree despite obvious MRI results. It's just after so long, people with chronic pain learn to move thru it to get thru their day. I wish docs relized this. We have to find ways to take care if daily needs/duties no matter the pain and learn not to cry even when pain is severe. Just bc we don't appear as someone recently injured with new pain does, doesn't mean we're not equally, or worse, in pain. They all think we're trying to get more meds when really we've become tolerant to current dose and the pain level is increasing and it's becoming more difficult to make it thru the day. I break down almost daily bc I just can't take it anymore. How can I be a sufficient mom when I can barely make it thru dishes or cooking a meal (frozen usually bc I can't do much more). Done PT, injections, chiro, all of it. Finally they are considering surgery. Over the course of time, I did inquire about my tolerance and ways to address that. I suggested trying a different narcotic of same level as my theory was that a slightly different chemical makeup might make my body respond. They agreed to that. The one they gave me was too expensive as name brand only and wasn't good enough (there was a difference in my response) to warrant the cost. So after trying that I was switched from Norco to Percocet. I'm again running into the tolerance issue but with surgery now an option, I don't want to be on dangerous meds, at least at this level, indefinitely. But for others, be honest with doc. If they tell you it's in your head, stick up for yourself. We're paying them and if you don't like your doc, find another and start with clean slate so they don't come in with any prejudgement. Ask for MRI if they don't offer. I've learned you have to ask for things. I bet that with some docs, if you're in so much pain you're asking for expensive tests to find the issue, they may believe you more. Remember, they have to protect themselves and their patients from overmedicating as well as addiction. Also they have to protect the public from giving a combo that can make yoy a danger. Tell them what works and why as well as what hasn't worked and why. Lastly, depending on your state, you can look into medical marijuana as an option. Some docs will continue seeing patients who are taking it; however that may change medications prescribed.
You do have ti have a good relationship with your doc and trust on both sides. The antidepressant/antiepileptic meds did nothing for my pain. Actually, made it worse bc I was soooo tired (falling asleep at red lights with children in the car) that I gained a bunch if weight which was more pressure on my body. This also lead to depression bc I felt terrible about myself, worthless, a danger, and became angry. How is this safer than narcotics? I quickly adjusted to the narcotic pain meds and when timed so I am not driving while it is at it is peak, I am able t drive safely. I was prescribed both at same time along with NSAIDS and muscle relaxers for at night only (which all the a-depressants/a-epileptics made me just as drowsy). Anyhow, after a couple years of trying various i.e Amitriptyline, Cymbalta,Gabapentin, Lexapro,Effexor, Topirimate, and others I decided no more. I c an no longer take Nsaids so just the Narcotics and occasional muscle relaxer. I have been suggested that pain was in my head to a degree despite obvious MRI results. It is just after so long, people with chronic pain learn to move thru it to get thru their day. I wish docs relized this. We have to find ways to take care if daily needs/duties no matter the pain and learn not to cry even when pain is severe. Just bc we do not appear as someone recently injured with new pain does, does not mean we are not equally, or worse, in pain. They all think we are trying to get more meds when really we have become tolerant to current dose and the pain level is increasing and it is becoming more difficult to make it thru the day. I break down almost daily bc I just can not take it anymore. How can I be a sufficient mom when I can barely make it thru dishes or cooking a meal (frozen usually bc I can not do much more). Done PT, injections, chiro, all of it. Finally they are considering surgery. Over the course of time, I did inquire about my tolerance and ways to address that. I suggested trying a different narcotic of same level as my theory was that a slightly different chemical makeup might make my body respond. They agreed to that. The one they gave me was too expensive as name brand only and was not good enough (there was a difference in my response) to warrant the cost. So after trying that I was switched from Norco to Percocet. I am again running into the tolerance issue but with surgery now an option, I do not want to be on dangerous meds, at least at this level, indefinitely. But for others, be honest with doc. If they tell you it is in your head, stick up for yourself. We are paying them and if you do not like your doc, find another and start with clean slate so they do not come in with any prejudgement. Ask for MRI if they do not offer. I have learned you have to ask for things. I bet that with some docs, if you are in so much pain you are asking for expensive tests to sincerely find the issue, they may believe you more. Remember, they have to protect themselves and their patients from overmedicating as well as addiction. Also they have to protect the public from giving a combo that can make yoy a danger. Tell them what works and why as well as what has not worked and why. Lastly, depending on your state, you can look into medical marijuana as an option. Some docs will continue seeing patients who are taking it; however that may change medications prescribed. Oh, I have also discovered that pain meds work better with lower carb and low sugar diets as sugar and processed carbs lead to greater inflammation in the body. Naturally reducing inflammation decreases some of the pain allowings meds to feel more potent on an uncontrolled pain source i.e. compressed nerves, bone spurs, vertebrae, etc.
That is a very good question that I would like to know I am a veteran which they don't like to give meds too by the way no matter what I'm on 20 milligrams of Percocet day fives 4 times a day but sometimes I need more than that because I have no one I actually do more physical work than I did when I was in the service or at least for the last 3 years and I read this article about the DEA and 2107 if they are getting prescriptions for. Are they seriously wanting an epidemic on our hands of people trying to self-medicate it's insanity I talked to my doctor little bit about my medication he said he would do no good to raise my medication he said he might have to put me on Dilaudid or Lorcet I don't even know what any of those two are but my thing is I'm doing more work bending excetera excetera so it's not that my body has gotten used to the medication it's my body is doing more stuff anyway if anybody's got not anything you say holler at me I don't care I'm for the girl asking if she can raise our meds or how to ask the razor men's I don't have an answer cuz I sure wish I knew myself considering that I'm getting everything from the dod I'm sure there's rules and regulations it's not even out there for the civilian world, I really do hope everybody finds relief for the pain without having a break the law because that's actually b*******
Btw, no idea why there are numbers in my post go figure.
The main thing that you need for chronic pain is a long acting opiate and not short lived like lortabs or Percocet. Always talk to a pharmacist in these matters. They can be better help and then you won't feel like an opiate addict.
This may help others in the future.  
My younger sister was on pain pills and still feeling pain.  
At her own expense she was tested for a genetic trait.  Her body is unable to process most of the pain medication that is given to her.  
This may be why your pain level is higher.