Fibromyalgia Community

How to best treat fibromyalgia

I was diagnosed several years ago with fibromyalgia.  No one has, yet, been able to really tell me what it is or how to treat it.  I'm only 37 years old and in pain on a daily basis.  They've given me Cymbalta, which I swear does nothing.  Does anyone have any suggestions?

Here are various online treatment plans for both fibro and CFIDS... from the experts:

http://groups.msn.com/Neuro-ImmuneSupport/treatments.msnw

Thank you.  Any help I can get will be such a relief.  It lets me know that I'm not crazy!
hi plateletgal
this is my first time posting on fibro forum .I  was dx with fm 12 yrs ago .I have found gaberpentin works best for me as it is a muscle relax .also a heat pad .the hardest part of fm was accepting what I could not do any more .I have also learn t to pace myself ,as on my good days I would try and catch up on everything

tmjfibro
The best treatment is finding the "cause" of fibro and treating  that.  Have you had testing for autoimmune disorders, lyme, viruses etc??
Lyrica seems to work for me, however the side effects include drowsiness and weight gain. I also take baclophen, which is a muscle relaxent and Celexa for my depression. It is also used for fibromyalgia.  If you are having trouble sleeping and don't want to take something addicting, Then take melatonin. It is a herbal med. Good Luck and Take Care.

Barb
try alternative treatments such as massage, chiropractic, yoga, accupuncture, etc. GOOD LUCK!
There are not many healthcare providers really know how to treat fibromyalgia without giving you the side effects.  There is a group of doctors that treat fibromyalgia using Brain Based Therapy.  You can learn more about this group at the website http://lifechangingcare.com/index.php .  Fibromyalgia is very tricky to treat because it is related to stress affected the central nervous system.  Stress can be physical, chemical, and emotional.  In addition, fibromyalgia sufferers have very low pain tolerance and it means that they can feel the pain very easily.  All I can tell you now is to look into your diet and begin to eliminate fast foods and toxic chemicals from your sytem.  Also, you need to quit smoking if you want to have an effective treatment for your Fibromyalgia.  Remember, Fibromyalgia is treatable without side effects but you need to find the right doctor and minimize all stresses.  Vincent
Lyrica has REALLY helped me to get back to a normal life. Talk to your dr. about it. I suffered for 6 yrs before I found this treatment. Good luck!
I am in total agreement Cymbalta does nothing.  Oh lest I forget it has made me gain weight.  Why is it everything they give you for this makes you gain weight yet they tell you to lose the weight to help relief stress from your muscles.  Go figure.
I'm on 400 mgs. of Lyrica, it has helped a great deal with the numbing, bone pain and nerve pain.  It has not helped much with the muscle pain for me.  I was asked to try Cymbalta for 2 weeks..which I did and it helped a very little, barely noticible.  But it robbed me of my spirit.  I didn't laugh or goof around anymore.  I'm generally a happy person at the core...this FM is a pain in the...everywhere!  Back to the Cymbalta...it also constipated me for the 2 weeks I tried it.  Not fun.  Good luck and if anyone knows a good doctor in queens ny that treats this, please let me know!  Have a great day all!
i am taken some supplements that i get from a chriopractor that has helped me a lot, gives me more energy and less pain
does lyrica help with other symptoms including shortness of breathe and ringing in the ear and or abdominal pain?? Or does it just subside the generalized pain?
Thank you,
Madeleine
***@****
Smoking substitute may not provide such a healthy swap, after all.