Fibromyalgia Community

Introducing myself

Hi everyone. I found these boards or forums a couple of years ago when I was experiencing a lot of strange symptoms. I've had problems with muscle pain, fatigue and headaches probably since I was in my 20s. Then a couple of years ago I started having problems with severe vertigo, uveitis, joint pain, restless leg syndrome, numbness and tingling, etc. My doctor suspected MS, did an MRI and a lumbar tap, but it all came back pretty much normal except for the MRI showed enlarged ventricles and non-specific hyperintensities. She referred me to a neurosurgeon, but he didn't seem to think it was anything to worry about.

At some point between now and then, I saw a rheumatologist who pushed on my muscles at various places and it hurt - he just kept saying "you've got fibromyalgia" every time I said, "Yes. That hurts!"  I've also had diverticular disease for many years (diagnosed in my late 20s or early 30s) and had 15 inches of my colon removed last year.

I've been doing my best to just eat right and take good supplements and that has worked for awhile, but the past few months have gotten more difficult. I suspect it's because of the bitter cold.

In the past few months I have started having terrible tinnitus that got so bad at one point that I couldn't hear anything at all in my left ear for several hours. The ringing comes and goes daily. I've also had consistent pain in my left knee, the usual painful muscles, and most recently bouts of terrible pain in my chest. An EKG and stress test both came back normal, so my heart is okay. Then most recently I started having terrible pain in my breasts - the left one is much worse than the right one. I also had a spot on the right one. Mammogram and ultrasound came back normal. Diagnosis is "fibrocystic breast changes". I suspect there is also chest wall inflammation, but the doctor said it is definitely in the breast tissue as well (not just radiating from the chest wall).

So this is pretty much the symptoms that I have and it seems that the majority of them can be directly attributed to the fibromyalgia. I have received a great deal of support from these medhelp communities (MS, neurology and breast cancer forums) and I'm feeling overwhelmed with all of the symptoms I've been having. So here I am again!

Thanks,
GrannyKay

Hi GrannyKay.

"fibrocystic breast changes" is not a medical diagnosis, as it does not constitute a disease at all. It is a normal change of breast tissue form
which is 100% benign and it happens to at least 50% of all women, at a certain point in their life.

The fibromyalgia suspicion is a bit of a "stretch" to my opinion.

I would say that you may have low thyroid function.
It is consistent with most of your symptoms.

For this, you can do your own Dr. Barnes Basal temperature test.
Just look it up.
As far as lab testing, forgo the standard serum thyroid tests T3, T4 and TSH and opt for Free T3, Free T4 and reverse T3.
The reverse T3 may not have an insurance code, so you may have to pay extra, but it's well worth it, if you want to completely rule out hypothyroidism

Dr. Lowe from the Fibromyalgia Research Foundation supports the premise that most fibromyalgia patients are either hypothyroid or thyroid hormone resistant.

The other possibilty is an underlying pathogenic infectious condition,
like pathognic mycoplasma and any of its co-infections (babesia, bartonella, ehrlichia, borrelia, HHV-6....)
These infections are notoriously difficult to detect and treat.
You may do a search here under Dr. Garth Nicolson, who's the top expert in this field and a part-time Medhelp contributor.

Let me know, if you need more details, however, my comments and suggestions are not intended as a replacement for medical advice.

Best wishes.
Niko

For people with Obsessive-Compulsive Disorder (OCD), the COVID-19 pandemic can be particularly challenging.