Fibromyalgia Forum

Natural treatment for Fibromyalgia?

Hi! I was diagnosed with Fibromyalgia and Ehlers-Danlos syndrome. I have horrible pain and my doctors are trying to work with me to find a treatment that doesn't involve heavy pain meds. I have serious issues with my digestive system and so most pain medicine such as vicoden(sp?) or any of those types constipate me. I was hoping for a natural suggestion to talk with my doctor about. They are not very informed with natural treatments of things and said they would talk with another doctor and let me know what they want to try next. I figured since I am on here I might as well ask if you know of natural treatments for FM so that I have a list in case they don't!
Hi, I understand that your are in pain . But I am sorry to say that we cannot comment on alternate therapies as this forum is only related to Allopathy .I would suggest you to consult a good naturopath in your area or access the internet to find the natural treatment for your symptoms . Please do keep us posted in case you need any advice on allopathic treatment . Take care and regards !
After some discussion amongst the members , it was considered that your question be answered . So here are some natural methods to relieve the symptoms of Fibromyalgia
Dietary Guidelines -The daily diet should include milled flax seed, 3 or more tbsp., or cold-pressed, unrefined flax seed oil. Flax seed and its oil contain the essential fatty acid omega-3 alpha-linolenic acid, which the body converts into hormone-like substances called prostaglandins. Prostaglandins help relieve the inflammation of fibromyalgia. The oils of fatty fish such as trout, cod, halibut, mackerel and salmon also contain omega-3 fatty acids and therefore work as anti-inflammatory agents. Alfalfa can be used for pain control. It contains saponins, sterols, flavonoids, coumarins, alkaloids, vitamins, amino acids, minerals and trace elements.
Eat a high-fiber diet that includes plentiful servings of raw and steamed vegetables. Maximize your intake of greens. Include ample servings of clean, lean protein, such as that found in fish, poultry, and fresh raw nuts and seeds in your diet. Eat four to five small meals daily rather than three larger ones. This will ensure that you have a steady supply of nutrients available for proper muscle function.
Avoid processed foods and foods that are high in saturated or hydrogenated fats, such as dairy products, meat, and margarine. Saturated fats interfere with circulation, increasing inflammation and pain.Avoid caffeine, alcohol, and sugar. These substances enhance fatigue, increase muscle pain, and can interfere with normal sleep patterns.
Drink eight glasses of pure water daily. Fresh juices and herbal teas are also good choices. A plentiful intake of liquids is important for flushing out toxins. Investigate the possibility that food allergies and/ or sensitivities may be contributing to the problem.
Nutritional supplements -Two most important nutrients that are found to be particularly useful for fibromyalgia are: magnesium and 5-HTP, a supplement. (Please read the safety warning before taking 5-HTP.) The combination of magnesium and malic acid helps to increase energy.. Take 100 to 200 milligrams of magnesium and 400 to 800 milligrams of malic acid three times a day, twenty minutes before each meal. (Some professionals recommend up to 500 milligrams of magnesium and 2,000 milligrams of malic acid.) With the extra malic acid and magnesium, fibromyalgia sufferers can handle exercise and still get out and about the next day. The combination magnesium and malic acid may also be helping the bodies handle physiologic stress better. (Caution: People with heart or kidney problems should check with their doctors before taking supplemental magnesium.) Antioxidants help reduce free-radical damage and fight inflammation. Take a good antioxidant formula that provides daily:
5,000 to 10,000 International Units of vitamin A
Up to 10,000 milligrams of buffered vitamin C
400 to 800 international units of vitamin E
200 micrograms of selenium.
This is called ACES therapy and is a very good combination of vitamins and nutrients. Vitamins A, C and E are called antioxidants. They are useful to combat free- radical damage at the cellular level. Vitamin E, in particular, improves circulation and reduces muscle pain. Hope this helps you . Take care and regards !

Thanks so much! I have no idea what "allopathic" means so I wasn't aware! I wouldn't have posted the question if I had realized it wasn't okay to do so! Thank you for answering despite this!
A related discussion, FIBROMYALGIA AND THYROID PROBLEMS? was started.
For people with Obsessive-Compulsive Disorder (OCD), the COVID-19 pandemic can be particularly challenging.