Fibromyalgia Community

Rheumatologist, Neurologist, Pain Mgmt or Internist??

I was diagnosed and treated for my fibromyalgia by a pain management doctor several years ago, and then my primary care doctor continued that same treatment. My daughter was seen, diagnosed and treated by a Rheumatologist,  and my mother was treated by a Rheumatologist.  I went to a Rheumatologist for the first time today, I finally have insurance after 1 1/2 years without.  I told her that I currently take Lyrica 600mg 3x day, Neurontin 1200mg 3xday, Celexa 20mg a day, and Hydrocodone 10's (sometimes up to 4 at a time), I also take other meds for heart issues (coronary artery disease, 1 heart attack and 1 stent, as well as tachycardia including svt at times) as well as numerous GI problems including multiple ulcers and a history of GI bleed. She said that they never put patients on Lyrica and Neurontin together, and certainly never at these high of dosages. I've been taking them at these dosages for at least 5 years.  She also said they don't treat fibro with narcotics, that it's actually contraindicated. She wants to put me on Cymbalta, instead of the Celexa. She then said it would probably be better for me to see either a pain management doctor, or a Neurologist. Either of which would be more comfortable with the combo of Lyrica and Neurontin,  and with them at these dosages. She believes, that with the amount of all over body pain I have, that I probably have neuropathy of some form going on in addition to the fibromyalgia and arthritis  (osteo).
Does anyone else take Lyrica and Neurontin together, at these strengths or less?
Should I look for a pain management doctor,  a Neurologist,  or a different Rheumatologist?  I go see my new primary care doctor tomorrow and would really like an idea before then.
Also, what about the Cymbalta and discontinuing the Celexa? I was taking the Celexa for mild depression, my mother passed away October 9, 2013 and I needed a little help getting past the anniversary of her death, the holidays and her birthday last month.
Any and all help, advice and suggestions would be so very much appreciated!!
THANK YOU!!!!
Well I didn't get on with Lyrica for neuropathic pain or fibromyalgia and the only drugs that have worked have been dihydocodeine and low dose diazepam as a muscle relaxant-sometimes this is more effective than the opiates.I really don't like prescription drugs after having my life ruined by immunotherapy for liver disease-I stick to the most natural ones I can.I think you might benefit from cutting a few drugs instead of adding to them in order to find out which are most effective.
You path toward wellness and good health is not going to be defined
by the different medicines that may or may not work for you.

If you're looking at temporary symptom management, with a risk of  worsening of your conditions in the long term, I'd say the pain specialist.

Otherwise, as otterwatcher mentioned, cutting a few meds (with the help of your doctor), exploring safe natural methods and alternative therapies,
might serve you better in the long run.

You may do a search here under "IWILLDOTHIS", a thread I started, a while back, with many suggestions to help deal better with Fibromyalgia.

Best wishes.
Niko
Smoking substitute may not provide such a healthy swap, after all.