Fibromyalgia Community

Severe Muscle Cramps from Fibro?

I have had Fibromyalgia and CFS for 20 years.  Has anyone had any problems with SEVERE muscle cramps and is it from the Fibro?  Mine always hit the inside thigh muscle and are as bad as labor pains.  They actually build and release just like a contraction.  They are severe enough to make my cry and all I can do is try to stretch them out and put Biofreeze on them.  I can't take many more of these.  Any ideas what this might be coming from?
Try taking some magnesium taurate or magnesium citrate for the cramping and perhaps some potassium , too.  Magnesium phosphate 30C is a homeopathic remedy for cramping.

Eldermom
Potassium helps me some. I have erratic body movements that Klonopin helped.

Magnesium is vital for any fibro or CFS patient.
Yep,
and yes to Magnesium, i take Magnesium Taurine by Biocare and have definately noticed the difference.

For muscle cramping, the thing that has had the fastest most dramatic results for me was the bowen technique, where your muscles are gently manipulated, the effect is long lasting and helps release muscle tension more than anything else i've tried (which is a lot!). Definitely worth trying.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bowen_Technique

Other than that, i have found that yoga does help muscle tension, but it took me a long time to get to properly relax into it.

Mx
I get muscle spasms in my back and chest.  They are horrible.  I felt one day like I was having a heart attack.  I put ice on as best I can, but I don't know what to do either.  I sympathize with you.
I was diagnosed with Fibromyalgia many, many years ago after a long bout with Lymes disease that was undiagnosed and untreated for 4 months. Finally I went to the right doctor for treatment but I find when I over do my daily activity level, I pay the price. We just got back from a 2 week Meditereanean cruise and once I got home, I noticed that my legs and toes were cramping horribly. I would get woken up by calf cramps and the toes on both feet would go into awful looking positions while they cramped. It could be from the extra exercise on the cruise and wearing of open toed shoes with little arch support as far as my feet and legs but I also am suffering from thumb and index finger cramps that are ugly and painful too. Any suggestions or ideas?
I too have severe muscle cramping and aching in my legs!! Lyrica has really helped this stop.

I'm sorry you are having to deal with it and hope you get some input on how to make it better.

I'm here for you anytime you need to vent, talk or ask questions.

Best wishes,
Jennifer

Magnesium is a vital supplement for fibromyalgia & CFS sufferers. I buy my magnesium in powered form and add a spoonful to my drinking water every single day. It can help with the cramping.

One thing I recommend for everyone here is reading Dr. Garth Nicholson's research on mycoplasma and fibromyalgia (or CFS). Dr. Nicholson is another physician who was ill and treated himself with antibiotics (just like the Roadback Foundation recommends and the same therapy I've been on).  Dr. Garth Nicholson has a very impressive resume... one of the most impressive I've ever read. He was a Nobel Prize nominee, but also was ill after his daughter returned home from the Gulf War with Gulf War Syndrome. He currently is the Chief Scientific Officer of the Institute for Molecular Medicine in Huntington Beach, California and as well, he is the Professor of Internal Medicine at the University of Texas Medical School at Houston.

Did you travel by air when you returned from your trip ? If yes, this is common in fibro & CFS patients. Dr. Nicholson discusses this:

Dr. Nicolson

"Well, we think that one of the problems that many patients that have Fibromyalgia or Chronic Fatigue Syndrome have is that when they travel by air they relapse very heavily, that is their signs and symptoms become worse. This is commonly found and it's not just so much the stress of traveling, we think there's another element involved and that's that when they travel they fly under conditions of reduced oxygen pressure, so the partial pressure of oxygen is actually reduced in the cabin of the aircraft flying at 20 - 30,000 feet. This is especially apparent in people who fly in helicopters so we have a lot of pilots that have contacted us, particularly helicopter pilots that become very sick after flying. And in some cases the people get temporary relief by going on hyperbaric oxygen, that is oxygen under pressure that increases the partial pressure of oxygen. All of this is consistent with what happens with a mycoplasma infection. These infections are what's known as borderline anerobes. That is, the micro-organism prefers low oxygen tension, so if you over exert, for example, and you starve your tissues for oxygen, that will actually stimulate the growth of these micro-organisms, or if you fly in an aircraft for a long period of time, a long flight, that can stimulate these, and so the signs and symptoms can become worse after such an event."

source:

http://members.aol.com/rgm1/private/nicolson.htm
I used to have SEVERE muscle cramps.  I take one 400 I/U.'s os the cheap Sam's vitamin E in the morning and one at night and the cramps went away.  I don't know if that helps?
Jamy
HI YES I HAVE SEVERE MUSCLE CRAMPS FOR YEARS I ALSO HAVE FIBRO AND MANY OTHER MEDICALE PROBLEMS I ALSO TAKE VIT. E NOT DOING ANYTHING FOR ME. MY DR KEEPS TELLING TO WALK AND THAT WILL HELP WITH THE PAIN OK HOW CAN I DO THAT IF I AM IN SO MUCH PAIN AND HURT. HE HAS NO IDEA WHAT'S IT LIKE I GET SO PIST AT HIM BECAUSE HE ACTS LIKE IT'S NO BIG DEAL U KNOW.
I ahve also tried magnesium tablets i did get a small amount of relief, and eating bananas is a big help too,but i have bought a tens machine and the relief for the cramps or spasms has been wonderful.I have so much relief from using it but it is not a cure.For me this is better than any pill, lotion or potion.I borrowed a machine to try for a week,and so glad i did.
I forgot to add that i have had FMS for 10 years now and the cramps and spasms are definately a symptom of fibro, and i have it everywhere.I also go to a chiropractor for this and get some relief.I went into remisssion for 8 months and i made the most of it and even went overseas for a holiday.
Smoking substitute may not provide such a healthy swap, after all.