Fibromyalgia Community
122 Members

frustrated over fibromyalgia diagnosis.

I hear the term a lot, and my friend has just been diagnosed with it.
she just all feels that her doctor is labelling a bunch of symptoms she has, simply because the various doctors have given up on finding the real problem.
Is that how others feel as well?
let me know, I need to know more about fibromyalgia to be able to support her.
Fibromyalgia is a REAL disease and has been for many years. I was diagnosed over 20 years ago when it was called "Fibromyacitis". This is a definition from Yahoo Health: "Fibromyalgia is a common condition characterized by long-term, body-wide pain and tender points in joints, muscles, tendons, and other soft tissues. Fibromyalgia has also been linked to fatigue, morning stiffness, sleep problems, headaches, numbness in hands and feet, depression, and anxiety."

If you put "Fibromyalgia" in any search engine on your computer you will find numerous articles and information on it. The Mayo Clinic also has a wonderful description of it along with treatments and medications.

In reality for many people being finally diagnosed with "Fibromyalgia" was a relief as they had been told by dozens of doctors that all of the pain and symptoms were all "in their head" and it was an awful and frustrating feeling.

Fibromyalgia has ALWAYS been defined by having pain and tenderness in a number of trigger points. It also has symptoms that affect a person's mental health including depression and anxiety and there are times of "fibro fog" where one is unable to find the word while they are speaking.

What really makes Fibromyalgia the insidous disease that it is: it can and usually does affect a person's entire life and can wax and wane with the weather, barometer, stress level and all kinds of other outside sources. It not only affects the muscles, nerves, brain, memory, mental health and ALL different parts of the body and brain and often exhibits different symptoms in each person and different treatments will work for them as well.

It is a very REAL disease and far from a cop out or easy answer. Life might be easier for me if Fibromyalgia WAS my only health issue.

Good luck and it is nice that you are trying to help her. The best thing is too check out Mayo Clinic and other health sites.

~Jazzi~

You must join this user group in order to participate in this discussion.
Smoking substitute may not provide such a healthy swap, after all.