Fibromyalgia Community

nearest specialist

i live in east london in south africa. we dont have a specialist for fibromyalgia here to treat me. i am seeing my gp and a psychiatrist. im on lyrica, cymgen, wellbuterin, azor, jurista, renezide. ive been very il for 6 months now and all symptoms seem to be getting worse. i am being sent to a mental institution because according to both doctors the pain and tiredness and anxiety and severe depression is all ín my head'. pleas help.... i think im about to loose it
many thanks
lisa herman
44 female
Hi Lisa and welcome to the forum.

Of course you deserve better treatment than that!
My, my!

I don't know what your expectations are, but even Rheumatologists, who are the specialists for fibro, will not be able to help you much, as they have no
effective treatment for it.

You're currently on  lyrica, cymgen, which are both commonly prescribed for fibromyalgia, one narcotic pain reliever and 2 antihypertensive meds.

So, in my view a Rheumatologist may change one or more drugs for something else, or change the dosing perhaps, however, I cannot see
any major shifts in the treatment plan, if you have been actually diagnosed
with fibromyalgia.

The best approach in my opinion is , if you can afford to pay out of pocket,
to consult with a Natural Medicine Doctor or ND, who may be able to look into underlying causes and help you address them.

Low adrenal function, hypothyroidism, nutritional deficiencies, certain gene mutations, low grade pathogenic infectious conditions which could be associated with FMS, are often not explored by conventional doctors
at all and if they are, much of the testing is flawed or inadequate!

If you need more details, let me know, however, my comments are not intended as a substitute for medical advice.

Best wishes.
Niko
Smoking substitute may not provide such a healthy swap, after all.