Aa
A
A
A
Close
Fibromyalgia Forum
This expert forum is not accepting new questions. Please post your question in one of our medical support communities.
550746 tn?1250126769

possibility of Fibromyalgia?

My name is Jordyn and I'm 16 years old. For the past 6 months or so I've been having terrible back pain in both my upper and lower back. Some days it's dull and i can get stuff done but other days it's terrible to the point where it hurts to even sit down. Like i keep having to move positions every couple of minutes. Most of the pain is either in my lower back or or between my shoulders. My friends have tried to help by giving me massages and I've even gone to spas to get a massage by a professional but neither of those have worked. Sometimes my back pain is so severe that I also get migranes and/or terrible headache that i can feel with every step i take! I NEED help! Please! I'm about to start school and I don't want to lag around! Please PLEASE help me!!
1 Responses
MEDICAL PROFESSIONAL
Hi,
Fibromyalgia is characterized by widespread pain in all four quadrants of the body for a minimum of three months and at least 11 of the 18 specified tender points -9 pairs  on either side of the body along with the experience of chronic widespread pain .The tender points lie in front neck area ,back of the neck ,back shoulder area, shoulder blade area ,elbow area , upper outer quadrant of the buttocks , rear hip and Knee . Associated symptoms of Fibromyalgia include fatigue ,morning stiffness , sleep disorder , menstrual cramping along with numbness and tingling , dizziness , skin and light sensitivities.
If you do not have symptoms other than back pain , it may not be Fibromyalgia . There could be other causes of back pain and headaches that include nerve impingement in the back or stiffness of the neck muscles . Please go for an MRI of spine with contrast , EMG and consult a neurologist for the diagnosis and treatment . Hope this helps you . Take care and regards ! .

Popular Resources
A list of national and international resources and hotlines to help connect you to needed health and medical services.
Here’s how your baby’s growing in your body each week.
These common ADD/ADHD myths could already be hurting your child
This article will tell you more about strength training at home, giving you some options that require little to no equipment.
In You Can Prevent a Stroke, Dr. Joshua Yamamoto and Dr. Kristin Thomas help us understand what we can do to prevent a stroke.
Smoking substitute may not provide such a healthy swap, after all.