Foot Care (Podiatry) Forum

Use of alcohol with gout

All articles I've read about prevention of gout attacks state "avoid alcohol (especially beer)" or "limit use of alcohol" .  My podiatrist says "everything's OK in moderation".  Which is it???  I drink only white wine (about 2-3 glasses) most days.  Please advise.  Thank you!
IF your gout is controlled by medication, moderate amounts can be ok. IF you start noticing attacks more often, cut back.
As with everything in life moderation is the key. In terms of gout, foods rich in a substance known as purines will lead to increased gouty attacks. So your best bet is eat/drink in moderation and try to avoid foods which are high in purines.

Some examples of foods rich this substance:internal organs such as liver and kidney, oily fish such as anchovies, sardines, herring and mackerel.
A moderate amount of purine is found in beef, pork, poultry, fish and seafood, asparagus, cauliflower, spinach, mushrooms, green peas, lentils, dried peas, beans and oatmeal and ALCOHOL. In terms of whether wine is better then beer is beyond my scope of practice and a consult with a dietitian may prove helpful. On the plus side a moderate amount of red wine is clinically proven to decrease the risk of heart disease.

Tips for preventing one of the most common types of knee injury.
Tips and moves to ease backaches
How to bounce back fast from an ankle sprain - and stay pain free.
Patellofemoral pain and what to do about it.
For people with Obsessive-Compulsive Disorder (OCD), the COVID-19 pandemic can be particularly challenging.