This expert forum is not accepting new questions. Please post your question in one of our medical support communities.
660872 tn?1238644845

stabbing pain near big toe


I am experiencing stabbing pain on the inner aspect of my right foot near the big toe when I weight bear and sometimes when I'm at rest.  I also have an ache and tenderness under the big joint where my big toe meets the foot. I have noticed that when I walk, I have to limp so that my big toe doesn't have to bend upwards which is quite painful. I can't remember injuring the foot, it seems to have started overnight about a week ago and is getting progressively more painful. My whole forefoot now aches when I'm at rest. There is no deformity except for a slight swelling at the base of the big toe (maybe) and very slight redness (could be imagination)

I have had right plantar fasciitis in the past which has been injected with steroids, successfully.  I have also had removal of Mortons neuroma on this right foot as well. The surgeon who removed the neuroma said it was the largest he had ever had to remove and warned me that I could have ongoing problems due to the extent of the surgery he had to do.  That was about 15 years ago and I do get the same sensation sometimes that I used to get from the neuroma. i.e the bones clicking over each other and feeling like I'm walking on a pebble.

If this progresses any further, I'm afraid that I'll be unable to work.  My job involves constant walking on concrete floors and it's starting to become a real problem.

Thank you.

Read more
Discussion is closed
Upvote - 0
1 Answers
Page 1 of 1
681547 tn?1227149574
It sounds like you may have either gout or a condition called hallux rigidus, arthritic narrowing of the joint space.
You should see your Podiatrist to get a blood test for uric acid (to test for gout), ESR (to rule out inflammatory processes), and WBC (to rule out joint infection).
Your phsycian would also be able to prescribe an anti-inflammatory to help you with the pain (eg diclofenac 50 mg) or give you a cortisone injection in the joint (as long as the test results confirm that this is not an infection).
Lastly, you need to have an x-ray of the foot to rule out fractures or tumors.
Discussion is closed