Foot Care (Podiatry) Forum

toe discoloration

Hi, I have always had perfect feet, until about 2 years ago. The skin on the knuckles of both of my big toes have become brown and a little hard. I have tried everything to make it go away. I have scrubbed, used a pumice stone, used lots of lotion, treated with Lotrimin AF, tried various creams. What the heck is wrong with my now very ugly big toe knuckles??????
you are probably getting hammertoes: the toes grip the ground for stability and do so more often when people have flat feet.  when the toes do this, the knuckle portion rubs against the shoes, causing discoloration and callusing.
i recommend wearing a shoe with a higher toe box to prevent the rubbing.  also, wearing an orthotic can help give you stability and prevent the toes from gripping the ground as much when walking.
A related discussion, BROWN rough skin over toe joint (knuckle) was started.
Foot Care (Podiatry) Forum
Tips for preventing one of the most common types of knee injury.
Tips and moves to ease backaches
How to bounce back fast from an ankle sprain - and stay pain free.
Patellofemoral pain and what to do about it.
How eating more salt may actually save your life.