GERD (Acid Reflux) Forum

Acid Reflux in 3 month old

My son was recently diagnosed with acid reflux.  He is 2 months old and has been experiencing some symptoms.  He is not vomiting but is very fussy (as though he is in pain) and gulps a lot.  He was put on Zantac 2 times a day and a special formula nutramigen.  He is still fussy and continues to gulp a lot.  I just don't know what to do now...do I switch the formula...does he need to be on a different dose of zantac?  I have heard of a formula with a rice starch...would that help keep the food down and not up to his esophagus.  Please help....desperately trying to make my baby happy.
Gastroesophageal reflux is considered to be a normal/harmless phenomenon in infants.
This usually stops at around 8-10 months when the infant assumes upright posture and starts taking more solid foods.
Treatment is necessary only if he has recurrent aspirations, he fails to gain weight or has Sandiffer syndrome ( baby assumes an arched posture during reflux).
Reflux can be controlled by increasing the consistency of feeds ( making it less dilute), keeping the baby in the upright posture for at least 30 minutes after feeding.
Learn which OTC medications can help relieve your digestive troubles.
Is a gluten-free diet right for you?
Discover common causes of and remedies for heartburn.
This common yet mysterious bowel condition plagues millions of Americans
Don't get burned again. Banish nighttime heartburn with these quick tips
Get answers to your top questions about this pervasive digestive problem