Aa
A
A
A
Close
GERD (Acid Reflux) Forum
This expert forum is not accepting new questions. Please post your question in one of our medical support communities.

Constant lump in throat

Hi,
Hope you can help. About 10months ago started getting a little irritation in throat causing me to constantly clear my throat as if something was there. It wasn't too bad back then, just annoying. Since then I've completed a Barium Swallow which came back fine, also had the H.Pylori test-that was fine too. In the last month I've had an ultrasound of gall bladder and pancreas-that good also, and even more recently just had an Upper GI. The Dr stated there was alittle inflammation which he thinks is due to Acid Reflux and that this is causing my sore throat. I can eat and drink just fine, in fact it seems to ease the pain I feel in my throat when I do.
Everyday though, I have this constant feeling of something in the back of my throat/neck - it can almost get to the point I feel like there is air constantly building up-when I burp it does ease it a little. I have tried the aciphex, OTC Prilosec and Nexium, but have not had any relief whatsoever.
Should I continue to see the Gastro Dr, I mean is it possible there is another ant-acid med out there that might work? Strange thing is I don't feel like I have acid because it's only my throat/neck that hurts. Was also wondering if I should now be looking to see an ENT ?
Any help would be greatly appreciated
Thanks
1 Responses
Hi Pauline677,
Your symptoms could be due to acid reflux or a post nasal drip.
Since burping gives you some relief it is more of  a GI problem than ENT.
24 hours pH monitoring will be helpful to confirm acid reflux.

If it turns out to be negative then you consult an ENT doctor.
================================================================
The information provided is for patients’ education only and is not a medical advice. Always consult your personal physician for complete evaluation of your health problem.

- Ratnakar Kini M.D.
Didn't find the answer you were looking for?
Ask a question
Popular Resources
Learn which OTC medications can help relieve your digestive troubles.
Is a gluten-free diet right for you?
Discover common causes of and remedies for heartburn.
This common yet mysterious bowel condition plagues millions of Americans
Don't get burned again. Banish nighttime heartburn with these quick tips
Get answers to your top questions about this pervasive digestive problem