GERD (Acid Reflux) Community

Difficulty breathing with feeling of lump in throat

For the past 6 1/2 months I've been having this feeling of being unable to breath which lasts all day long and had been ongoing for the past 6 months. It's so bad to the point where I have to literally gasp for air sometimes it takes 3-6 gasp before the air will actually come up. Sometimes to get relief  im yawning trying to get the breath. Every once in a while I also would get mild chest pain and pain in my sternum. I also get this feeling that there is a lump in my throat but have tested negative for thyrhoids. My red and white blood cell has come back normal. Ultrasound if stomach is normal. X-rays of chest and stomach are normal. Ct scan came back normal also. Ive been to it could be due to acid reflex and heart burn but I don't get the burning sensations or the acid reflex coming up my throat. Anyone have a clue? Please help I'm desperate and have been in so much discomfort for the past 6 1/2 months.
What about a hiatal hernia?

Since May of 2008, on & off,  I've had a strange feeling in my lower chest, mostly on the left side.
I first of all thought it was something stress related--due to a relative's death & 6 days later the fire
that destroyed our home. And then our lives were in turmoil and nothing was the same.

It comes and goes - it's a pressure and a discomfort under my ribs. Sometimes I have belching.
I'm better if I avoid alcohol & coffee. I read about hiatal hernia on-line and thought maybe
I have got that. I found some self-help massage techniques on you tube and i have been doing them
daily and feel much better.
Forgot to include that I've been in and out of the ER three times and was told it was due to anxiety, which I am not suffering from. I've had an endoscopy done but has not been given the results. I do have a follow up appr with my dr in 6 weeks to discuss the results due to there being a biopsy done. I've taken nexium which does not help. Cut off acidic and spicy foods, coffee, tea, alcohol and still  nothing. I also get this strong rapid heartbeat feeling in my stomach which I've been told is normal.?
Hi there,

It is a bummer that your Doc have not discussed the Endoscopy results with you.  The sternum pains and throat discomfort does sound like GERD (reflux) to me.  Some people can feel the acid refluxing (heart burn) and others get silent reflux.  Although acid is the biggest culprit, there are non-acid reflux episodes also that can be "silent" but cause symptoms.  Nexium mainly helps for acid and does not do much for the other like alkaline, pepsic, etc.

You have had some other tests done (bloodwork, Thyroid, CT, ultrasound, Xray) that were normal, so that rules out the serious deseases and it is good that you've had that done.

As for the throat-issue:  I would suggest that you try to go to an ENT Specialist, prior to your consult in 6 weeks.  The ENT Doc can do a Larynxscope and that will either confirm or rule out reflux.

Let us know how you are doing and feel free to ask more questions.

Hi do ne of these sound like ur symptoms?

Symptoms of Laryngopharyngeal Reflux are:

Continual throat clearing
Chronic throat irritation
Chronic cough
Hoarseness
Excessive phlegm the throat
Dysphagia (difficulty swallowing)
Constant sensation of something in the throat
Swallowed food comes back up
Post nasal drainage
Weak voice
Cracking voice
Blockage of the breathing passage
Spasm of the larynx (voice box)
Wheezing
Heartburn

These symptoms are a list of a condition also known as Silent Reflux....u do not have to have all the symptoms to have this...and once u do, it will take time, meds and a change in diet and lifestyle to help calm it down.

Keep us posted

"selma"
I do get a lot of those symptoms especially the clearing of my throat and feeling like there's something in the back of my throat, but the worst thing of all is that I have this sensation that seems to be right in the middle of my chest area where it feels like I can't breath. I constantly throughout the day struggle to get the breath out to the point where I'm straining my neck muscles and then the back of  my neck and shoulder hurts. I've been struggling with this breathing problem for over 6 months now and the doctors dont seem to know what it is. Its an all day every day thing, and im soo irritated. The worst thing is that I just found out I'm about 5 weeks pregnant so medication if it is silent reflux is out of the question. Sometimes I get do light headed from struggling to breath that I feel like I'm going to pass out. I'm terrified that itight he something life threatening,
Learn which OTC medications can help relieve your digestive troubles.
Is a gluten-free diet right for you?
Discover common causes of and remedies for heartburn.
This common yet mysterious bowel condition plagues millions of Americans
Don't get burned again. Banish nighttime heartburn with these quick tips
Get answers to your top questions about this pervasive digestive problem