GERD (Acid Reflux) Community

GERD recurrence during early pregnancy

I’ve been taking nexium for many years, and it has adequately treated my GERD symptoms, which are essentially the constant burping, full, gassy feeling, and accompanying nausea.  Now, early on in my pregnancy (11 weeks), and coming out of the phase where morning sickness should be plaguing me less, I’m realizing I’ve gone from morning sickness right into a full-on GERD recurrence.  I’d forgotten how bad it could feel, and I am a gassy, nauseous, miserable, pregnant woman, despite the nexium.  I recall being miserable late in my last pregnancy with heartburn, etc., but it’s far too soon for the size of a baby to be causing those effects.  I’m really not sure what to do at this point, or who to turn to.  Years ago I had a scope to rule out other issues, and have been under the care of my PCP since then.  I’m 41, and an overall healthy person and healthy eater – well-balanced meals, I avoid foods I know set me off, virtually no alcohol consumption in the past year or more, big water drinker, etc.  I’m a bit lost on how to proceed from here.  I’m also a little perplexed on whether this recurrence was brought on by the pregnancy, or if it’s just a coincidence.  Do I start with my PCP, or seek out a GI specialist, and will this all be exacerbated by the fact that I’m pregnant?  I’m not sure a GI specialist will want to work with me in this condition.  Thoughts please? Also, any suggestions for resources pages so I can further educate myself?  Thank you in advance.

Hi and welcome to the GERD forum.

Congratulations on your pregnancy !! It is possible it is the pregnancy or any worry or stress that comes along with it. Talk with your OBGYN as they will know what is best and safe way for you to curb these issues.

Carry around some saltines or some type of cracker to help with nausea.

And also let your OBGYN know if the vomiting continues as that could lead to some serious issues.....

Keep us posted on your progress.
Learn which OTC medications can help relieve your digestive troubles.
Is a gluten-free diet right for you?
Discover common causes of and remedies for heartburn.
This common yet mysterious bowel condition plagues millions of Americans
Don't get burned again. Banish nighttime heartburn with these quick tips
Get answers to your top questions about this pervasive digestive problem