GERD (Acid Reflux) Forum

Gerd mimics heart attack with nausea?

I've never had a major health issue in 42 years and have not taken any meds except lopressor to control high bp over the past few years...until now...

For the past 5 months I've been in and out of the ER 5 times and to several Drs. for ongoing numbness & pain on left side of chest and down left arm, narrowing & painfully sore esophegus, difficulty breathing w. throat closing up, tasting bittery blood in throat (not spitting up blood...only tasting it), and now I have supressed appetite, weightloss, nausea, weakness and dizziness.

CT scan on 11/16/07 showed narrowing of oropharynx w. diffused soft tissue swelling without discrete mass.  

On 11/23 I underwent a EGD = the report said "the antrum (not sure what that is) showed mottling and erythema and there were multiple areas of submucosal hemmorage. There was at least one area of fading erosion and edema in the immedate prepyloric area but I saw no ulcers or active bleeding.  Duodenal bulb, postbulbar area showed similar but less pronounced findings.  
Biopsies all came back clear.  I was put on protonix and gaviscon with no relief, but with decreased appetite and nausea over the past 3 weeks.    

Due to nausea, gastroentologist ordered ultrasound of gallbladder, with was negative, followed by hidascan with CCK.  The gallbladder is fine, but there is something called entrogastric reflex?  Not sure what this means or if it would cause all of these symptoms.

Very, very desperate.

The cardiologist said all was fine w. heart.  The pulmenary specialist said it isn't lung related.

Please help.
Hi Miha,
The problems you have -
1.High BP
2. Chest pain
3. Sore esophagus
4. Breathing difficulty
5. Bitter taste
6. Antral and duodenal erosions

You are not responding to  drugs for the past 3 weeks.

My opinion -
You might be having-
1. Peptic ulcer disease - based on the endoscopy findings
2. Duodenogastro esophageal reflux - based on your history of sore esophagus and bitter taste. But you have not mentioned whether endoscopy showed bile in the stomach or esophagus

My suggestions
1. Get treated for Peptic ulcer disease with PPI (8 weeks)and anti-H.pylori drugs (2 weeks)

2. Consider taking Sucralfate

3. Do a 24/48 hrs pH monitoring for confirming the reflux.

Discuss with your physician before starting any new drugs or switching over to another.
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
The information provided is for patients’ education only and is not a medical advice. Always consult your personal physician for complete evaluation of your health problem.

- Ratnakar Kini M.D.
Learn which OTC medications can help relieve your digestive troubles.
Is a gluten-free diet right for you?
Discover common causes of and remedies for heartburn.
This common yet mysterious bowel condition plagues millions of Americans
Don't get burned again. Banish nighttime heartburn with these quick tips
Get answers to your top questions about this pervasive digestive problem